For Sun Awareness Week, Banana Boat Canada® reminds families to apply and reapply enough sunscreen
MISSISSAUGA, ON, May 28, 2018 /CNW/ - In support of Sun Awareness Week happening May 28 to June 3, Banana Boat® Canada and the Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) want to remind Canadians to protect themselves from the sun's harmful rays this summer by practicing sun safety. A proper routine should include seeking shade, wearing tightly woven or UV protective clothing, wide-brimmed hats, sunglasses with UVA/UVB protection, as well as the proper application and re-application of a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
"To get the full protection benefits that sunscreen can provide, consumers need to apply enough, and often enough. Unfortunately a large percentage of consumers never reapply sunscreen. Sunscreen should be reapplied every two hours," says Jennifer Carnevale, Brand Manager, Banana Boat® Canada. "If your family is using a bottle of sunscreen purchased from the previous summer, chances are, that is not enough and you will need to get a new bottle to ensure that you have enough to follow the recommended application directions."
One 180 mL bottle of sunscreen accounts for six complete applications of sunscreen for adults whose skin is mostly exposed to the sun, e.g. while wearing a bathing suit, based on the recommended application of one golf-ball sized dollop (about 1 oz. or 2 tbsp.). Sunscreen should always be applied 15 minutes prior to heading outside, and then reapplied every two hours or immediately after swimming, sweating or towel-drying. This means that when spending a weekend outdoors, adults should be using more than one full bottle of sunscreen over the course of one weekend.
This summer, as their exclusive sunscreen partner, Banana Boat® Canada is working with the Canadian Cancer Society to educate Canadians on the importance of sun safety and skin cancer. "UV exposure is at its highest during summer months and poses the risk of sun damage, which is why Banana Boat and CCS are launching summer-long sun education campaigns to ensure that Canadians know how to properly protect their skin from the sun," says Carnevale.
Enjoy being active outdoors this summer by practicing sun safety and making sunscreen a part of your daily routine. Here are five sunscreen tips to make sunscreen application easy for your whole family so you can safely enjoy the summer sun:
- Check the UV index. Check the UV index daily and be extra careful when the UV index is three or higher. Don't forget to seek shade if your shadow is shorter than you and remember to use sunscreen along with shade, clothing and hats, and not instead of them.
- Apply sunscreen every day. UV rays are present year-round in all sorts of weather conditions, and prolonged exposure to them can lead to sun damage and skin cancer. In fact, UVA rays can even penetrate glass and clouds. Ensure that you apply sunscreen every single day to keep your skin protected from sun damage — even if the sun's rays aren't shining.
- Use a golf ball-sized dollop. About one ounce or two tablespoons of sunscreen counts as one head-to-toe application.
- Apply before heading outdoors. Apply your sunscreen 15 minutes before sun exposure in order to ensure that your skin is protected. If you forget to put it on before going outside, it's not too late. Apply it as soon as you can. Remember to also wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses and tightly woven or UV protective clothing.
- Remember the two-hour rule. Reapply your sunscreen every two hours and immediately after swimming, sweating or towel-drying. When applying sunscreen that comes in a spray bottle, spray liberally onto your body and spread evenly. Never spray directly onto your face but rather spray the product into your hands and then apply.
About The Banana Boat® Brand
The Banana Boat® brand offers a wide range of products that provide today's busy families with safe sun protection, so the fun can go on. Banana Boat® sunscreen products provide Broad-Spectrum UVA and UVB protection while offering innovative solutions to meet the needs of all sun care consumers in Canada. In 2018, Banana Boat® expanded its product line to include the new Simply Protect™ line, available in SPF 50+ and made with 25% fewer ingredients. The available formulas include Sport, Baby and Kids. For more sun protection tips, or to learn more about Banana Boat® products, visit www.bananaboat.ca.
About Edgewell Personal Care®
A leading manufacturer of health and beauty products around the world, Edgewell Personal Care is a division of Edgewell Holdings, Inc. Edgewell Personal Care markets products in more than 100 countries worldwide under the Banana Boat®, Hawaiian Tropic®, Playtex®, Playtex Sport®, Playtex Gentle Glide®, o.b.®, Stayfree®, Carefree®, Bulldog®, Skintimate® and Schick® brands.
About the Canadian Cancer Society
The Canadian Cancer Society is a national, community-based organization whose mission is to eradicate cancer and enhance the quality of life of people living with cancer. Thanks to our donors and volunteers, CCS has the most impact, against the most cancers, in the most communities in Canada. For more information, visit cancer.ca or call our toll-free bilingual Cancer Information Service at 1-888-939-3333.
SOURCE Banana Boat
For further information: or photography please contact: Jessica Weingarten, Paradigm Public Relations, 416-413-5111, [email protected]