MONTREAL, Nov. 6, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ -
Hearing "You have cancer" is a tremendous psychological shock, both for the person living with cancer and for their loved ones.
The Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) is at the service of people who have to face cancer.
Its qualified volunteers, who are people with an experience of cancer,
and its professionals offer support and comfort.
Its goal: enhance the quality of life of people touched by the disease
by alleviating fear, distress, and the feeling of isolation,
as well as by providing tools to adapt and better face the disease.
Invitation to a press conference to highlight the CCS's ten years of support services
and the launch of the guide L'enfant et l'adolescent face au cancer d'un parent
Thursday, November 7, 2013
at 10 a.m.
The Canadian Cancer Society's Jacques-Cantin Lodge
5151 de l'Assomption Blvd.
The following people will be present to talk about psychosocial support and the impact cancer has on our lives:
- Marie-Claude Gagnon (mother of three), the muse who inspired the guide L'enfant et l'adolescent face au cancer d'un parent, after being diagnosed with breast cancer at 37
- Antoine Gagnon (11 years), Ms. Gagnon's son who was eight years old when his mother was told she had cancer
- Dr Yves Quenneville, psychiatrist in the oncology department of MUHC, who treated Ms. Gagnon
- Lisa Corbeil, psychologist at the Canadian Cancer Society's Cancer J'écoute psychosocial support service
- Suzanne Dubois, Executive Director, Canadian Cancer Society - Quebec Division
The Canadian Cancer Society's Cancer J'écoute is a psychosocial support service made up of counsellors, professionals, and qualified volunteers. This 250-strong interdisciplinary team, spread out all over Quebec, offers a variety of support services to individuals and groups. For details: cancer.ca or 1 888 939-3333.
SOURCE: Canadian Cancer Society, Quebec Division
For further information:
André Beaulieu, Spokesperson and Senior Advisor, Public Relations
Canadian Cancer Society - Quebec Division
[email protected] 514 393-3444