MONTREAL, Nov. 18 /CNW/ - Canada is one of the most urbanized countries in the world, with major cities whose influence reaches across the planet through economy, culture, research and innovation. In the decades ahead, cities must play a leading role in mastering the consequences of climate change, of illness and disease and of new forms of communication, through the critical mass of the entrepreneurs and scholars, and creative problem solvers gathered there. Are our cities ready to lead?
Tomorrow (Nov 19), the sixth annual Trudeau Foundation Conference on Public Policy begins, bringing some of the brightest minds together to tackle the subject from unique, fresh and actionable angles.
WHAT: Trudeau Conference on Public Policy: Canadian Cities and the
Public Sphere: Rethinking the Urban Commons. Keynote speeches,
dialogue sessions with renowned specialists on critical issues
such as diversity, migration, the environment, public housing,
urban economics and planning, arts and culture, and urban
Aboriginals, among others.
The conference will also discuss new poll results on urban
Canadians' attitudes about life in the city. The results are
currently available at: http://tiny.cc/YwqFI.
WHEN: November 19-21, 2009
WHERE: Chateau Laurier Fairmont Hotel
WHO: Conference speakers and specialists include:
- Lloyd Axworthy, President and Vice-Chancellor, University of
Winnipeg; 2007 Trudeau Mentor
- James Bartleman, Former Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario; 2009 Trudeau
- Mark Kingwell, Professor of Philosophy, University of Toronto; award-
- Susan Fainstein, Professor of Urban Planning, Harvard University
- Cynthia Ghorra-Gobin, Research Director, Centre national de la
recherche scientifique, Paris
- Jean-Paul L'Allier, Visiting Professor, Laval University and Former
Mayor of Quebec City
- Hazel McCallion, Mayor of Mississauga
- Lluis Recoder Miralles, Alcalde (Mayor), Sant Cugat del Vallès
- Ilmar Reepalu, Kommunalradet (Mayor), Malmo (Sweden)
- John B. Robinson, Professor of Geography, University of British
Columbia; 2007 Trudeau Fellow
- Witold Rybczynski, Martin and Margy Meyerson Professor of Urbanism,
University of Pennsylvania
Full conference program: http://tinyurl.com/y976xxt
SOURCE The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation
For further information: For further information: Media Pre-registration or Inquiries: Sheryl So (English), Environics Communications, (416) 969-2725, email@example.com; Alida Alepian (French), Capital-Image, (514) 739-1188 ext. 225, firstname.lastname@example.org; On site Nov. 19-21, Elise Comtois, The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation, (514) 466-1575 (Mobile), email@example.com