TORONTO, Jan. 12, 2016 /CNW/ - The RBC Taylor Prize will announce the finalists for the 2016 RBC Taylor Prize in Toronto. The 30-minute press conference will take place Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10 a.m. sharp in the Consort Bar (Main Level) of The Omni King Edward Hotel, 37 King Street East Toronto, ON M5C 1E9.
The announcement of the fifteenth RBC Taylor Prize shortlist will be made by Prize Founder Noreen Taylor and members of the Prize Foundation. The shortlisted authors will be celebrated and the winner announced at a gala awards luncheon on Monday, March 7th at the Omni King Edward Hotel in downtown Toronto.
There will be up to five authors/books on this year's shortlist. The 3-member jury will choose from the longlist announced late last year.
2016 RBC Taylor Prize Longlist:
- Sixty: The Beginning of the End, or the End of the Beginning? By Ian Brown (Toronto), published by Random House Canada
- 'Membering by Austin Clarke (Toronto), published by Dundurn Press
- Two Days in June: John F. Kennedy and the 48 Hours that Made History by Andrew Cohen (Ottawa), published by McClelland & Stewart
- Road Trip Rwanda: A Journey Into the New Heart of Africa by Will Ferguson (Calgary), published by Viking Canada
- This Is Happy by Camilla Gibb (Toronto), published by Doubleday Canada
- Dispatches from the Front: Canada's Voice at War by David Halton (Ottawa), published by McClelland & Stewart
- The Reason You Walk by Wab Kinew (Winnipeg), published by Viking Canada
- Zoroaster's Children: & Other Travels by Marius Kociejowski (London, England), published by Biblioasis
- Genius at Play: The Curious Mind of John Horton Conway by Siobhan Roberts (Toronto), published by Bloomsbury U.S.A.
- Stalin's Daughter: The Extraordinary and Tumultuous Life of Svetlana Alliluyeva by Rosemary Sullivan (Toronto), published by HarperCollins Publishers
- The Prison Book Club by Ann Walmsley (Toronto), published by Viking Canada
- Into the Blizzard: Walking the Fields of the Newfoundland Dead by Michael Winter (Toronto), published by Doubleday Canada
About The RBC Taylor Prize
Established biennially in 1998 by the trustees of the Charles Taylor Foundation, 2016 marks the fifteenth awarding of the RBC Taylor Prize, which commemorates Charles Taylor's pursuit of excellence in the field of literary non-fiction. Awarded to the author whose book best combines a superb command of the English language, an elegance of style, and a subtlety of thought and perception, the Prize consists of $25,000 for the winner and $2,000 for each of the remaining finalists, as well as promotional support to help all of the nominated books to stand out in the media, bookstores, and libraries.
RBC Taylor Emerging Writer Award
Established jointly by RBC and the Taylor Prize to promote emerging talent in non-fiction, the RBC Taylor Emerging Writer Award consists of a $10,000 cash prize, as well as the opportunity to be mentored by the RBC Taylor Prize winner.
The trustees of the Charles Taylor Foundation are: Michael Bradley, Vijay Parmar, David Staines, Edward Taylor, Nadina Taylor, and Noreen Taylor.
The presenting sponsor of the RBC Taylor Prize is RBC Wealth Management. Its media sponsors are The Globe and Mail (exclusive newspaper sponsor), CNW Group, The Huffington Post Canada, Maclean's magazine, and Quill & Quire magazine; its in-kind sponsors are Ben McNally Books, Event Source, IFOA, The Omni King Edward Hotel, and the Toronto Public Library Board.
To download high-resolution images of the longlisted authors and their book covers please go to:www.rbctaylorprize.ca/2016/2016_longlist.zip
To download high-resolution images of the trustees and the jury please go to:www.rbctaylorprize.ca/2016/2016_trustees_and_jury.zip
For more information please visit: www.rbctaylorprize.ca.
Visit RBC Taylor Prize on Twitter at www.twitter.com/taylorprize
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RBCTaylorPrize
SOURCE Charles Taylor Prize
For further information: Media contact: Stephen Weir & Associates, Stephen Weir: 416-489-5868, cell: 416-801-3101, [email protected]