Get into the 2014 Olympic Spirit with Olympic and Hockey Greats
TORONTO, Feb. 13, 2014 /CNW/ - With Olympic fever gripping the nation, who wouldn't want the chance to skate along side a true hockey hero? This Family Day, RBC invites Ontarians across the province to join Olympic gold medalists and hockey legends for free RBC Family Day Skates.
RBC Learn to Play and Play Hockey projects offer opportunities for children to build skills in sport. These skills build confidence, leading to better physical and mental health. Figure skaters, hockey players and first-time skaters young and old, are all encouraged to lace up their skates and come out for a spin on the ice.
Thirty-six RBC Family Day Skates will take place across the province - from Sarnia to Cornwall. Free hot chocolate, give-aways and autograph sessions are just a few of the exciting surprises scheduled at a number of the events. Inspirational Olympians and hockey greats will be appearing at select free skates across the province including:
Family Day, Monday, February 17, 2014
- Three-time Olympic Gold Medalist Vicky Sunohara at Evergreen Brickworks (from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) and Ryerson's Mattamy Athletic Centre (from 2 to 4 p.m.)
- Former Toronto Maple Leafs Captain Wendel Clark at Toronto's Harbourfront Centre (from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
- Olympic Gold Medalist Geraldine Heaney at Civic Centre Rink, Markham (from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.) and Milliken Mills Community Centre, Markham (from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.)
- RBC Olympian and three-time Olympic Gold Medalist Becky Kellar-Duke at Mohawk Ice Centre in Hamilton (from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.), Milton Sports Centre (from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.) and Appleby Ice Centre (from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Three-time Olympic Gold Medalist Lori Dupuis at Leaside's Memorial Arena (from 11: a.m. to 1 p.m.) and Scarborough's Ted Reeve Arena (from 2 to 4 p.m.)
- Former NHLer Mark Osborne at Uxbridge Arena and Rec Centre (from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.)
- RBC Olympian and Olympic Bronze Medalist in Sprint-Kayak Mark Oldershaw at Brantford's Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre - Rink 3 (from 3 to 5 p.m.)
- Members of the Kitchener Rangers at the Kinsmen Arena in the Kitchener Auditorium (from 5 to 6 p.m.)
- Members of the Guelph Storm at the Sleeman Centre (immediately following the Storm game)
For full details including times and locations for all 36 RBC Family Day Skates visit rbc.com/familyday.
For further information:
Media in the Greater Toronto Area, please contact:
Mark Hamill, RBC, 416-974-6286, firstname.lastname@example.org