TORONTO, March 4, 2017 /CNW/ -
Media are welcome to cover (limited media seating available)
WHEN: Monday March 6, 2017
Luncheon: 12 noon | Announcement 1:30 p.m.
The Omni King Edward Hotel in downtown Toronto
This Monday, March 6, one of five RBC Taylor Prize finalists will be named the winner of the $25,000 prize and receive a custom designed crystal trophy. The announcement will take place at approximately 1:30 p.m. following the presentation of the finalists, who will each receive an authentic leather-bound edition of their book.
The Omni King Edward Hotel, Sovereign Ballroom, Main Level
37 King St. East, Toronto M5C 1E9
All five Prize finalists will speak:
- Max Eisen, shortlisted for his book By Chance Alone: A Remarkable True Story of Courage and Survival at Auschwitz (Toronto, Ontario), published by HarperCollins Canada
- Matti Friedman (Jerusalem), shortlisted for his book Pumpkinflowers: An Israeli Soldier's Story, published by Signal / McClelland & Stewart
- Ross King (Oxford, England), shortlisted for his book Claude Monet and the Painting of Water Lilies, published by Bond Street Books
- Marc Raboy (Montreal, Quebec), shortlisted for his book Marconi: The Man Who Networked the World, published by Oxford University Press
- Diane Schoemperlen (Kingston, Ontario), shortlisted for her book This Is Not My Life: A Memoir of Love, Prison, and Other Complications, published by HarperCollins Canada
The trustees of the Charles Taylor Foundation and the 2017 RBC Taylor Prize jurors are available for interviews and commentary:
- Noreen Taylor, RBC Taylor Prize founder and chair of the Charles Taylor Foundation, Trustees Dr. David Staines and Vijay Parmar, president of RBC PH&N Investment Counsel
- RBC Taylor Prize 2017 Jurors Colin McAdam, John English, and Ann MacMillan
Established in 1998 to commemorate Charles Taylor's pursuit of excellence in the field of literary non-fiction, the Prize has been a driving force behind the growth and recognition of the literary non-fiction genre as it celebrates Canada's rich literary heritage and the exceptional authors who captivate us with their stories.
With the support of its sponsors, this privately funded prize is presented annually to the author whose book best combines a superb command of the English language, an elegance of style, and a subtlety of thought and perception.
The presenting sponsor of the RBC Taylor Prize is RBC Wealth Management. Its media sponsors are The Globe and Mail (exclusive newspaper sponsor), CBC Books, CNW Group, The Huffington Post Canada, Maclean's magazine, and Quill & Quire magazine; its in-kind sponsors are Ben McNally Books, Event Source, IFOA, The Omni King Edward Hotel, and the Toronto Public Library Board.
CNW will be providing a B-Roll of the Winning Announcement. Newsrooms should advise Stephen Weir at [email protected] if the B-Roll is needed immediately after the announcement is made.
SOURCE RBC Taylor Prize
For further information: STEPHEN WEIR, Stephen Weir & Associates, [email protected], 109 Castlefield Avenue, Toronto, ON, CANADA, M4R 1G5, Tel: 416-489-5868, cell: 416-801-3101, www.stephenweir.com, twitter: sweirsweir