OTTAWA, March 26, 2019 /CNW/ - Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette, Governor General of Canada, will present the 2019 Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts during a ceremony at Rideau Hall, on Thursday, March 28, 2019, at 10:30 a.m.
The Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts are Canada's foremost awards for excellence in these artistic disciplines. The prizes are awarded annually to visual and media artists for distinguished career achievement in a broad spectrum of fields, including photography, performance art, experimental film and video, new media, and metalsmithing. The awards also include the Saidye Bronfman Award for excellence in the fine crafts, as well as a prize for outstanding contributions to the visual and/or media arts in a volunteer or professional capacity.
The following laureates will be honoured this year:
- Lee-Ann Martin, independent curator, Carp, Ontario (Outstanding Contribution Award)
- Stephen Andrews, visual artist, Toronto, Ontario
- COZIC (Yvon Cozic and Monic Brassard), visual artists, Sainte-Anne-de-la-Rochelle, Quebec
- Marlene Creates, visual artist, Portugal Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Ali Kazimi, filmmaker and media artist, Toronto, Ontario
- Andrew James Paterson, media artist, Toronto, Ontario
- Jeff Thomas, photo-based storyteller and photographer, Ottawa, Ontario
- Susan Edgerley, glass artist, Val-Morin, Quebec (Saidye Bronfman Award)
The prizes are funded, administered and promoted by the Canada Council for the Arts. For more information on the Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts and on this year's laureates, please visit ggavma.canadacouncil.ca.
Media wishing to cover this event are asked to confirm their attendance with the
Rideau Hall Press Office, and must arrive at the Princess Anne Entrance no later than 10:15 a.m. on the day of the ceremony.
Follow GGJuliePayette and RideauHall on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
SOURCE Governor General of Canada
For further information: Media information: Josephine Laframboise, Rideau Hall Press Office, 613-990-9324, 613-668-1929 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org; Joly-Anne Ricard, Public Relations and Social Media Advisor, 1-800-263-5588 (extension 4166), 343-998-2627 (cell phone), email@example.com; For interviews with the laureates, please contact: Charlene Coy, C2C Communications, 416-451-1471, firstname.lastname@example.org