Parapan Am flames to unite at a special celebration in downtown Toronto ahead of Opening Ceremony
TORONTO, Aug. 3, 2015 /CNW/ - On Thursday, August 6, Day 4 of the Parapan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President's Choice® and OLG, the Parapan Am flame will take part in celebrations in Ajax and Toronto before uniting at a celebration in David Pecaut Square.
The Parapan Am Games Torch Relay is a 5-day inspirational journey that features a unique start and a first in Parapan Am history. Two separate flames – one in the east and one in the west – were lit on August 3 during special ceremonies in Ottawa, Ontario and Niagara Falls, Ontario.
East – Ajax, ON
Rotary Park – 10:45 a.m. (ET) (177 Lake Driveway West, Ajax, ON)
- Several torchbearers will carry the Parapan Am flame as part of the celebration including Patrick Jarvis, Paralympian, athletics and IPC Governing Board Member and community nominated Ashley Murphy
- The community cauldron will be lit by Glenn Healy, former NHL player for the Toronto Maple Leafs
Corus Quay – 11:45 a.m. (ET) (25 Dockside Drive, Toronto, ON)
- Chelsey Gotell, Paralympic and Parapan Am multi-medallist in swimming, will depart from this location carrying the Parapan Am flame
West – Toronto, ON
Inukshuk Park – 11:35 a.m. (ET) (789 Lake Shore Boulevard West, Toronto,ON)
- Radane Wright, avid runner with a visual impairment, to carry the Parapan Am flame
Queens Quay and Yonge Street – 12:05 p.m. (ET) (Toronto, ON)
- The Parapan Am flames will travel north on Yonge Street side-by-side as they are carried by a pair of torchbearers en route to David Pecaut Square
Flames Unite – Toronto, ON
David Pecaut Square – 12:30 p.m. (ET) (55 John Street, Toronto, ON)
- Partners Sami Jo Small, Olympic multi-medallist, ice hockey and Billy Bridges, Paralypmic multi-medallist in sledge hockey will arrive to David Pecaut Square carrying the Parapan Am flames and will unite them as one as they light the community cauldron
- Special guest appearance will be made by Rick Hansen, Paralympic multi-medallist, athletics and chief executive officer, Rick Hansen Foundation
The Parapan Am flames will be carried by more than 250 torchbearers who will help share the Parapan Am spirit in 12 communities. The flames will then unite in Toronto before travelling to the Opening Ceremony for the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games on August 7 at the CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Athletics Stadium. The torch relay is one of the most exciting events as it sets the stage leading up to what will be the largest Parapan Am Games ever held.
The following torch relay items are available at TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay: relay route map, full list of communities and dates and daily highlight summaries.
All torch relay media advisories will be available on CNW. Day 4 highlight images and videos will be available on Flickr by copying and pasting this URL into a web browser: ="https://www.flickr.com/gp/134804056@N03/QA6dZ4" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.flickr.com/gp/134804056@N03/QA6dZ4
The torch relay can also be followed on Twitter.
About the TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay
The TORONTO 2015 Parapan Am Games Torch Relay is presented by President's Choice® and OLG, supported by community partner CIBC and signature supporters Ontario Trillium Foundation, Porter Airlines and Star Media Group and Metroland Media, and funding parties the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario. The torch relay will invite communities to celebrate and share the Parapan Am spirit throughout its five-day journey towards Toronto, the Host City of the Games.
The torch relay starts August 3, 2015, and concludes August 7, 2015, with the dramatic lighting of the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony in Toronto.
The TORONTO 2015 Games are funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, as well as Lead Partner CIBC and other partners and sponsors.
For more information, visit TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay.
SOURCE Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games
For further information: East (Ajax, Toronto): Jill MacCannell, Coordinator, marketing and communications, TO2015, 416.996.4076, email@example.com; West (Toronto): Melissa Iafrate, Coordinator, marketing and communications, TO2015, 647.225.4002, firstname.lastname@example.org