Pan Am flame will visit CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Aquatics Centre and Field House for a community celebration and the 27th annual Afrofest music festival for an evening celebration
TORONTO, July 4, 2015 /CNW/ - On Sunday, July 5, Day 36 of the Pan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President's Choice® and OLG, the Pan Am flame will visit Toronto.
The relay day will begin at Withrow Park, and the Pan Am flame will make its way through the streets of east Toronto to Variety Village. From Variety Village, torchbearers will carry the flame to the Toronto Zoo, where Max Domi will help share the Pan Am spirit with zoo guests, staff and animals alike. In the afternoon, the flame will pay a special visit to the CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Aquatics Centre and Field House for a community celebration before making its way to the 27th annual Afrofest music festival, where musician/actor Emmanuel Jal will light the community cauldron.
Sunday, July 5, 2015 (Relay Day 36: Toronto, ON)
Withrow Park – 9:25 a.m. (ET) (725 Logan Avenue, Toronto, ON)
Start of day celebration:
- Chris Chen will be the first torchbearer of the day and will depart from this celebration.
Variety Village – 10:50 a.m (ET) (3701 Danforth Avenue, Scarborough, ON)
- Megan Sherwin, member of Variety Village's Flames swim team, will arrive carrying Pan Am flame.
- Aaron Sheng, brother of the late Cassidy Sheng, an honorary Parapan Am torchbearer and former member of the Flames swim team, will depart carrying Pan Am flame.
Chinese Cultural Centre – 12:55 p.m. (ET) (5183 Sheppard Avenue East, Toronto, ON)
- Dr. Ming-Tat Cheung, chief of cardiology and internal medicine at Humber River Hospital, will arrive carrying the Pan Am flame.
Toronto Zoo – 1:10 p.m. (ET) (2000 Meadowvale Road, Toronto, ON)
- Max Domi, captain of the Ontario Hockey League's London Knights, will carry Pan Am flame at this location.
CIBC Pan Am/Parapan Am Aquatics Centre and Field House – 2:45 p.m. (ET) (875 Morningside Avenue, Toronto, ON)
- Tony De Rosario to pass the Pan Am flame to Dwayne De Resario, retired soccer player, Toronto FC, who will light the community cauldron.
27th Annual Afrofest 2015, Music Africa – (Woodbine Park, 1695 Queen Street, East, Toronto, ON)
- Wayne Simmonds, NHL right winger for the Philadelphia Flyers, will pass the Pan Am flame to musician/actor Emmanuel Jal, who will arrive to the celebration at 7 p.m. and light the community cauldron.
The Pan Am Games Torch Relay is a 41-day journey that will share the Pan Am spirit in more than 130 communities. The torch relay is one of the most exciting events as it sets the stage leading up to the Games. There will be more than 3,000 torchbearers and 180 community celebrations taking place.
The following torch relay items are available at TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay: relay route map, full list of communities and dates, daily highlight summaries and media vehicle registration information.
All torch relay media advisories and news releases are available on CNW. Day 36 highlight images and videos are available on Flickr by copying and pasting this URL into a web browser: ="https://www.flickr.com/gp/133157263@N06/2y088p" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.flickr.com/gp/133157263@N06/2y088p
The torch relay can also be followed on Twitter.
About the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay
The TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President's Choice® and OLG, is supported by community partner CIBC, signature supporters Star Media Group and Metroland Media, Ontario Trillium Foundation and Porter Airlines, and funding parties the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario. The torch relay will invite Canadians to celebrate and share the Pan Am spirit throughout its 41-day journey towards Toronto, the Host City of the Games.
The torch relay starts May 30, 2015, and concludes July 10, 2015, with the dramatic lighting of the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony in downtown Toronto.
The TORONTO 2015 Games are funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, as well as Lead Partner CIBC and other partners and sponsors.
To learn more about the torch relay and when the Pan Am flame will visit a community near you, visit TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay or download the official TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games app, presented by CIBC.
SOURCE Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games
For further information: Melissa Iafrate, Coordinator, marketing and communications, TO2015, 647.225.4002, email@example.com