CALGARY, Jan. 29, 2018 /CNW/ - TODAY AT 10:30 A.M.: The Importance of Democracy in Education and Locally Elected Representation
In response to a review conducted by a consultant, the Nova Scotia government announced they will be abolishing locally elected school board trustees in favour of government appointees. According to the Canadian School Boards Association (CSBA), this is a threat to democracy and the right to representation. It completely removes the local voice in education.
- Location: Sheraton Eau Claire, Calgary, Alberta
- Date: January 29, 2018
- Time: 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Who: CSBA, Board of Directors
The democratic right for all Canadians to manage and control the education of their children is fundamental and must be respected by government in every jurisdiction across the country.
- Government and leadership should be building the system; not breaking it down. It's imperative that government works with local representation to strengthen the education system and contribute to the goal of improving outcomes and achievements of all children. (Floyd Martens, President, CSBA)
- Minority groups have the right to make decisions regarding their children's education as established in the Canadian Constitution. Conversely, provincial governments are systematically attempting to eliminate that very right from the majorities. The right to democracy belongs to everyone. (Jennifer Maccarone, President, Quebec English School Boards Association)
- Publicly funded education is the most important social endeavour we have and should be above partisanship and four year election cycles. (Darren McKee, Executive Director, Saskatchewan School Boards Association)
Speaking to the issue from their Board of Directors Meeting in Calgary, will be Floyd Martens, President CSBA, Jennifer Maccarone, President of the Quebec English School Boards Association and Darren McKee, Executive Director of the Saskatchewan School Boards Association.
All directors from jurisdictions across the country will be available for comment or interviews following a brief press conference.
Canadian School Boards Association (CSBA) is a national body of provincial school board associations representing close to 4 million elementary and secondary students across Canada. We advocate for quality public education and educational success for all students across the country.
SOURCE Canadian School Boards Association (CSBA)