BURNABY, BC, Oct. 14, 2014 /CNW/ - Media are invited to join Richard Lee, M.L.A for Burnaby North and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Advanced Education for Traditional Chinese Medicine, representatives from the British Columbia Earthquake Alliance, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) and FortisBC at the Great British Columbia ShakeOut event.
- 9:45 a.m.– Speaking remarks by M.L.A Richard Lee, Bill Adams, Vice-President, Western & Pacific, IBC, Jody Drope, Vice President, Human Resources and Environment, Health and Safety, FortisBC and MC Dave Cockle, Fire Chief, Oak Bay Fire Department & President of the British Columbia Earthquake Alliance
- 10:16 a.m.– Great British Columbia ShakeOut Drill with attendees and FortisBC staff
- 10:20 a.m.– Media availability with M.L.A Richard Lee, Bill Adams, Jody Drope, Dave Cockle, Honn Kao, earthquake seismologist and research scientist with the Geological Survey of Canada / Natural Resources Canada and Emily Dicken with the Great British Columbia ShakeOut Committee
- Thursday, October 16, 2014 at 9:45 a.m. (PST)*
*media are encouraged to arrive by 9:30 a.m.
- FortisBC Burnaby
4370 Still Creek Drive
Burnaby, B.C., V5C 0G5
- Media contact on site: Grace Pickell (604-328-2544)
- Reserved parking can be found at the back of the FortisBC building
- For more information about the Great British Columbia ShakeOut click here
About Great British Columbia ShakeOut
Great ShakeOut earthquake drills help people in homes, schools, and organizations practice how to be safe during big earthquakes, and provide an opportunity for everyone to improve their overall preparedness. By participating, you can have assurance that you, your family, your co-workers and millions of others will be better prepared to survive and recover quickly from the next big earthquake in your region. As of today, there are more than 690,000 people registered from British Columbia and 25 million people participating in ShakeOut drills world-wide in 2014, most of which will participate on October 16th.
About Insurance Bureau of Canada
Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is pleased to celebrate 50 years as a valuable resource for insurance information. Since 1964, IBC has been working with governments across Canada to make our communities safer, championing issues that directly affect Canadians and the property and casualty (P&C) insurance industry. IBC is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, car and business insurers. Its member companies represent 90% of the P&C insurance market in Canada. The P&C insurance industry employs over 118,600 Canadians, pays more than $7 billion in taxes and levies to the federal, provincial and municipal governments, and has a total premium base of $48 billion.
To view media releases and other information, visit the media section of IBC's website at ibc.ca. Follow IBC on our national Twitter account @InsuranceBureau , or on our western account @IBC_West or like us on Facebook.
If you require more information, IBC and Great British Columbia ShakeOut spokespeople are available to discuss the details in this media advisory.
SOURCE: Insurance Bureau of Canada
For further information: Celyeste Power, Manager, Media Relations, Insurance Bureau of Canada, 416-362-2031 ext. 4312 (daytime), 647-384-9872 (after hours), [email protected]