Hon. Rona Ambrose, Lisa LaFlamme to join celebrations
TORONTO, Oct. 5, 2017 /CNW/ - Media are invited to attend Plan International Canada's kick-off festivities for the sixth International Day of the Girl on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at the Toronto Stock Exchange gallery space. Former Conservative Leader Rona Ambrose, Global Compact Network Canada President Helle Bank Jorgensen, and Plan International Canada's President and CEO, Caroline Riseboro, will deliver remarks celebrating International Day of the Girl and the success of the #GirlsBelongHere initiative. Through #GirlsBelongHere, a diverse group of young women from across the country stepped into their dream jobs for a day to meaningfully illustrate every girl's right to realize her potential.
Lisa LaFlamme, Chief Anchor of CTV National News and Plan International Canada Celebrated Ambassador, will also moderate a panel discussion with four highly accomplished and passionate #GirlsBelongHere youth participants who stepped into a variety of high-profile positions including the Prime Minister of Canada, the CEO of Unilever Canada, the Business Development Lead at Snapchat and a producer at Toronto's Breakfast Television. The four participants will discuss the power of ambitious career aspirations and why it's important for girls to dream big. Panelists will also address the "dream gap" – a combination of gender stereotypes, discrimination and negative perceptions that prevent many girls from realizing their dreams.
- Hon. Rona Ambrose, Former leader of the Conservative Party of Canada and former Minister for the Status of Women who sponsored Canada's resolution at the UN for the creation of International Day of the Girl
- Helle Bank Jorgensen, President, Global Compact Network Canada
- Lisa LaFlamme, CTV National News Chief Anchor and Plan International Canada Celebrated Ambassador
- Caroline Riseboro, President and CEO, Plan International Canada
- #GirlsBelongHere participants Breanne, Alice, Christina and Ashwini (who have stepped into the roles of: the Prime Minister of Canada, the CEO of Unilever Canada, the Business Development Lead at Snapchat and a producer at Toronto's Breakfast Television)
- International Day of the Girl event and panel discussion in the TSX Gallery centered on Plan International Canada's #GirlsBelongHere initiative, the "dream gap" and the importance of career aspirations
- Photo + video opportunities: Media will be able to capture footage from the panel discussion along with photos throughout the event
- Interview opportunities: Hon. Rona Ambrose, Caroline Riseboro, Helle Bank Jorgensen and #GirlsBelongHere panelists will be available for interviews
Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2017
- Media set-up: 9:35 to 9:40 a.m.
- Remarks: 9:45 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- Panel discussion: 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Award Recognition ceremony: 10:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Photo and interview opportunities with Rona Ambrose, Caroline Riseboro, Helle Bank Jorgensen and #GirlsBelongHere panelists: from 10:45 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- TSX Gallery (Exchange Tower – 130 King Street West, Toronto, ON)
- Plan International Canada staff will be available to greet and direct members of the media
About International Day of the Girl
Plan International Canada led the global movement to receive all-party support of the Canadian Parliament and the United Nations to officially declare October 11 as International Day of the Girl. It's a key moment every year to shine a light on the myriad of issues that affect girls around the world.
About Plan International Canada and the Because I am a Girl initiative
Founded in 1937, Plan International is one of the world's oldest and largest international development agencies, working in partnership with millions of people around the world to end global poverty. Not for profit, independent and inclusive of all faiths and cultures, Plan International strives for a just world that advances children's rights and equality for girls. Because I am a Girl is Plan International's global movement to transform power relations so that girls everywhere can learn, lead, decide and thrive.
SOURCE Plan International Canada
For further information: Please RSVP to confirm attendance and admission: Kyla Pearson, Plan International Canada, C: 647-459-7557 | firstname.lastname@example.org; Katie Good, Hill + Knowlton Strategies, C: 416-413-4653 | email@example.com