'Suits' star and Plan Canada's newest Celebrated Ambassador Sarah Rafferty to attend
and add her "Note for a Brighter Future"
TORONTO, Oct. 6, 2014 /CNW/ - Plan Canada is excited to celebrate the International Day of the Girl on October 11 – a day to advocate for girls' rights around the world. Three years ago, Plan led the call for an International Day of the Girl as part of its Because I am a Girl initiative to put a spotlight on the need to end gender inequality and recognize girls' rights as human rights.
This year, to celebrate the day in Toronto, Plan Canada is creating an interactive Post-it®Note art installation at the Toronto Eaton Centre called "Notes for a Brighter Future." The installation will be built by world-renowned Post-it Note artist Andreas Kopp over the course of three days, bringing to life an eight foot high iconic image to celebrate the International Day of the Girl. Visitors are invited to write a message of inspiration for a brighter future for girls around the world on a Post-it Note, which will be used in the installation. Plan Canada invites the public to be part of an artistic creation to celebrate the International Day of the Girl with a powerful message of a brighter future for girls around the world.
Sarah Rafferty, actress and star of the hit show Suits and Plan Canada's newest Celebrated Ambassador, will join artist Andreas Kopp and the Plan Canada team at the "Notes for a Brighter Future" Post-it note art installation to celebrate the International Day of the Girl.
We invite you to join us for a photo and interview opportunity at the Toronto Eaton Centre.
- "Notes for a Brighter Future" Post-it note art installation at the Toronto Eaton Centre
- Visitors will be invited to write inspiring words on a "Note for a Brighter Future" and these Post-it Notes will be placed into the installation. The iconic image celebrating International Day of the Girl will come to life as Post-it Notes are added
- Photo and interview opportunity: Sarah Rafferty, actress and star of Suits and Plan Canada Celebrated Ambassador, visits the installation to show her support of girls' education
- Sarah Rafferty, actress and star of Suits and Plan Canada Celebrated Ambassador
- Andreas Kopp, world-renowned Post-it Note artist
- Rosemary McCarney, President and CEO, Plan Canada
- Paula Roberts, Executive Vice President, Plan Canada
- Photo opportunity with Sarah Rafferty and Plan Canada: Thursday, October 9, 2014 from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- The art installation is open from Wednesday, October 8, 2014 through Sunday, October 12, 2014 during mall hours
- Toronto Eaton Centre's MAC Court (lower level next to the fountain)
220 Yonge Street
**Please sign-in first with Toronto Eaton Centre Guest Services on the second level just above the fountain
- Plan Canada staff will be available to greet and direct members of the media at the installation
Photos taken at the art installation and shared on social media with the hashtag #BrighterFuture will drive awareness for the International Day of the Girl and Plan Canada's Because I am a Girl initiative, a global initiative to end gender inequality, promote girls' rights and lift millions of girls and everyone around them out of poverty. The #BrighterFuture photos will populate a virtual wall that can be seen at becauseiamagirl.ca/BrighterFuture
To learn about other ways Canadians can celebrate the International Day of the Girl across the country around October 11, 2014, visit becauseiamagirl.ca
About Plan and the Because I am a Girl initiative
Founded in 1937, Plan is one of the world's oldest and largest international development agencies, working in partnership with millions of people around the world to end global poverty. Not for profit, independent and inclusive of all faiths and cultures, Plan has only one agenda: to improve the lives of children. Because I am a Girl is Plan's global initiative to end gender inequality, promote girls' rights and lift millions of girls – and everyone around them – out of poverty. Visit plancanada.ca and becauseiamagirl.ca for more information.
SOURCE: Plan Canada
For further information: Media contact: Abigail Brown, Senior Media and Public Relations Manager, Plan Canada T: 416.920.1654 x277, C: 647.971.3764, email@example.com