OTTAWA, June 1, 2018 /CNW/ - Media are invited to come explore the newly opened hydroelectric generating station at Chaudière Falls this weekend, June 2 and 3, as a part of Doors Open Ottawa.
For the first time ever, Hydro Ottawa is welcoming visitors to its new generating station at Chaudière Falls for guided tours of the new facility. Throughout this two-day event, guests will not only learn more about Ottawa's history, but will be given insight into how Chaudière Falls is producing clean, renewable energy in an environmentally responsible way.
Doors Open Ottawa is a City of Ottawa initiative in which visitors are given the opportunity to learn more about what has been hiding in their "backyard" while exploring some of the city's most prestigious buildings and facilities.
- The new below-grade 29-megawatt hydroelectric facility feeds into the provincial grid and powers 20,000 homes with clean, renewable energy; reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 115,000 metric tons of CO2 every year.
- Using a restorative philosophy, we have maintained elements of the city's industrialist past, including refurbishing two of the site's oldest buildings that survived the Great Fire of 1900.
- Chaudière Falls is comprised of six run-of-the-river hydroelectric facilities, with a total of 88 megawatts of hydroelectric generation
- The new site offers safe viewing platforms for the public to enjoy scenic views of Chaudière Falls.
- Public tours will occur from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday.
- Additional details available at www.chaudierefalls.com.
About Hydro Ottawa
Hydro Ottawa delivers electricity to more than 328,000 homes and businesses in Ottawa and Casselman. For 100 years, Hydro Ottawa has reliably supplied its customers with power, building and investing in the local electric grid. Proudly municipally owned, Hydro Ottawa contributes to the well-being of the community we serve. Its innovative services help customers manage their account and energy use.
SOURCE Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.
For further information: Media contact, Daniel Séguin, Manager, Media and Public Affairs, Hydro Ottawa, Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 2345, [email protected]