OTTAWA, Feb. 1, 2018 /CNW/ - Members of Parliament from all political parties will host a screening of the documentary Swift Current on Parliament Hill on the evening of Monday, February 5, 2018. This event will provide parliamentarians and their staff with the opportunity to learn about abuse and its impact on children in Canada. The hashtag is #abuseawarenessday
There will be a press conference at 10:00 am in the Charles-Lynch Press Conference Room. Those attending the press conference will make brief remarks on the issue of abuse and take questions.
Child abuse – including sexual abuse, physical abuse and severe neglect – is one of the most pressing public health issues of our generation. The impacts are profound for victims, communities and our society. It is imperative that Canada take further action to prevent child abuse and to ensure that victims receive the best possible support.
The event is being hosted by:
- Arnold Viersen, MP for Peace River-Westlock (Conservative)
- Robert-Falcon Ouellette, MP for Winnipeg Centre (Liberal)
- Christine Moore, MP for Abitibi-Témiscamingue (NDP)
- Rhéal Fortin, MP for Rivière-du-Nord (Bloc)
- The Green Party of Canada
Featured speakers include:
- National Chief Perry Bellgarde, Assembly of First Nations
- Cynthia Bland, Founder and CEO of VoiceFound
- Sean McCann, Great Big Sea founder and mental health advocate
- Sheldon Kennedy, child advocate and former NHL hockey player
The screening will be held at 6:30 pm on Monday, February 5th in Ottawa at the Sir John A. Macdonald Building (144 Wellington St., Ottawa).
Please note that National Chief Perry Bellgarde, Assembly of First Nations, is unable to attend the press conference but will attend the event and be available for comment.
Respect Group is Canada's trusted leader in bullying, abuse, harassment and discrimination prevention training. Over 1 million Canadians in Sport, Schools and the Workplace have been Respect Certified.
SOURCE Respect Group Inc.
For further information: Michele Austin, Senior Advisor, Summa Strategies, firstname.lastname@example.org, 613.235.1400