Dermatologist offers Regina residents free skin cancer screening June 1, 2012; Local melanoma survivors on site.
REGINA, June 1, 2012 /CNW/ - Organized as part of the Canadian Dermatology Association's Sun Awareness Program, Regina dermatologist, Dr. Roberta McKay, will be offering free skin cancer screening on Friday June 1, 2012, at Northgate Mall. Members of the public are invited to come have a free skin check and discuss sun protection with the dermatologists.
|Who:||Dr. Roberta McKay, Regina dermatologist, Canadian Dermatology Association|
|Regina melanoma survivors on site for interviews:|
|Brad Hanson, local fireman|
|Laurey Milligan, health program manager|
|What:||Skin Cancer Screening (Filming/PHOTO OPP)|
|When:||Friday June 1, 2012 from 10 am to 1 pm|
|Where:||Northgate Mall, a vacant retail outlet near Centre Court, 489 Alberta St.|
|Why:||To highlight the need for sun protection and early detection education|
- 3 people a week are diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer, a potentially deadly form of the disease, in Saskatchewan
- In 2011, there were 135 new cases of melanoma in the province and 25 deaths from this disease
- Regina is Canada's 3rd sunniest city with 2338 hours of sunshine a year, according to Environment Canada.
- Skin cancer is highly preventable with good sun protection habits.
Other relevant information:
- Skin cancer statistics and fact sheets will be available on-site
- Digital photos of skin cancers will also be made available upon request
For further information:
Sue Sherlock, Sherlock Communications
Office: 604-985-9184 | Cell: 604-753-9929 | [email protected]