OTTAWA, Dec. 12, 2018 /CNW/ - Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette, Governor General of Canada, will present the Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case to six laureates during a ceremony at the Senate of Canada, on Friday, December 14, 2018, at 9:30 a.m. The ceremony will be streamed live on Facebook at www.facebook.com/womencanada/.
Below is the list of the 2018 laureates:
- Rina Arseneault, of Fredericton, New Brunswick, is recognized for her work as a social worker, researcher, activist, organizer, author and educator.
- Shirley Cuillierrier, of Ottawa, Ontario, is an advocate of protecting, defending and promoting the benefits of women in policing.
- Rina Fraticelli, of Toronto, Ontario, has devoted her career to addressing gender inequity issues, particularly in Canada's arts and cultural industries.
- Charlotte Hrenchuk, of Whitehorse, Yukon, is a strong activist working to address gender inequality issues in Yukon and throughout Canada's north.
- Hélène Lee-Gosselin, of Sainte-Pétronille, Quebec, has studied equity and diversity in the workplace, pay equity, women's entrepreneurship, and women's place in decision-making bodies and academic institutions.
- Alana Robert (youth recipient), of Winnipeg, Manitoba, is in her final year of studies at Osgoode Hall Law School where she is focusing on advancing the rights of marginalized groups in Canada.
About the Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case
In 1929, five women from Alberta won the judiciary battle to be recognized as persons, therefore making them eligible for appointment to the Senate. The Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case were established in 1979 by the Government of Canada, with the support of then-Governor General the Right Honourable Edward Schreyer, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of this historic decision. These awards highlight Canadian contributions to the advancement of women's equality and celebrate Canada's evolution as an inclusive society. For additional information about the Persons Case awards or the laureates, visit the Status of Women Canada website at women.gc.ca.
There will be a pool for photographers and videographers. Journalist wishing to cover the ceremony must be accredited with the Parliamentary Press Gallery. Journalists who are not members of the press gallery should contact Philippe Perrier at [email protected] or 613-992-6517, to request a temporary accreditation.
Follow GGJuliePayette and RideauHall on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
SOURCE Governor General of Canada
For further information: Media information: Josephine Laframboise, Rideau Hall Press Office, 613-990-9324, 613-668-1929 (cell), [email protected]; Nanci-Jean Waugh, Status of Women Canada, 819-420-6810, [email protected]