VANCOUVER, Dec. 5, 2014 /CNW/ - The British Columbia Federation of Labour and the Public Service Alliance of Canada are sponsoring a candlelight vigil at Holland Park in Surrey on December 6th, the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women in Canada.
This year, December 6th marks the 25th anniversary of the murder of 14 women at the École Polytechnique in Montreal.
Members of the public will gather to reflect on violence against women, call upon the federal government to announce a national action plan to deal with all forms of violence against women, and collect donations for local women's organizations.
- What: End Violence Against Women Candlelight Vigil
- When: 4:30PM to 6PM, Saturday December 6th 2014
- Where: Holland Park, 13428 Old Yale Road, Surrey BC
- Bruce Ralston, MLA, Surrey-Whalley
- Sue Hammell, MLA, Surrey-Green Timbers
- Chantel O'Neill, Representative, Canadian Labour Congress Pacific Region
- Joyce Galuska, Aboriginal Workers Representative, BC Federation of Labour
- Irene Lanzinger, President, BC Federation of Labour
SOURCE: Public Service Alliance of Canada
For further information: Jaime Matten, BC Federation of Labour, (604) 561-2663