CALGARY, June 11, 2013 /CNW/ - On Friday, June 14th Calgary dermatologists and dermatology residents will be holding a free skin cancer screening to increase awareness about the importance of early detection and prevention of skin cancer and demonstrate how to conduct at-home self-exam.
|Who:|| Dr. Richard Haber, Calgary dermatologist, Canadian Dermatology Association
Dr. Habib Kurwa, Calgary dermatologist, Canadian Dermatology Association
|What:|| Skin cancer screening and early detection awareness event
Interview & Photo Op
|When:||Friday, June 14, 2013 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.|
|Where:||Eau Claire Market Mall, Community Room (main floor by the elevators)|
|Why:||To create awareness about importance of early detection by conducting regular at-home self-exams|
- Every week, 10 Albertans are diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer, a potentially deadly form of skin cancer.
- 550 new cases of melanoma are expected to be diagnosed in Alberta this year and 90 people die from it
- Research shows that 53% of melanoma skin cancers are discovered by the patients themselves and a further 17% by their family members.
Other relevant information:
- Digital photos of skin cancers will also be made available upon request
- Media are invited to attend
SOURCE: Canadian Dermatology Association
For further information:
Laura Craig, Communications Coordinator
Office: 613-738-1748 x 229
Email: [email protected]