Canada's Fine Guidance Sensor on its way to NASA'S James Webb Space Telescope
OTTAWA, July 19, 2012 /CNW/ - NASA will soon be receiving a special delivery from Canada. Michael Pley, Chief Executive Officer of COM DEV International, will be joined by federal Industry Minister Christian Paradis, Dr. Steve MacLean, President of the Canadian Space Agency and Dr. Eric P. Smith from NASA at a special event at the David Florida Laboratory in Ottawa at 10:00 am on Wednesday, July 25th to mark the completion of Canada's Fine Guidance Sensor (FGS), the "pointing device" that will guide NASA's James Webb Space Telescope. The FGS was designed and built in Canada by COM DEV International Ltd., a global designer and manufacturer of space hardware.
This is the last opportunity to view the state-of-the-art sensor before it is sent to NASA to be part of the James Webb Space Telescope, widely known as the "Next Hubble Space Telescope." The Webb Telescope will allow scientists to capture images of galaxies millions of miles away and the Canadian-developed Fine Guidance Sensor is an integral part of its precise sighting functions.
IMPORTANT MEDIA ACCREDITATION NOTES:
- Media representatives who would like to attend the event must apply for accreditation in advance by providing the names of all the persons present at the event at least two days prior to the event, in compliance with David Florida Laboratory (DFL) security procedures.
- Accreditation must be completed in advance. Access to the site cannot be granted on the day of the event.
- Government-issued photo ID required.
- All non-Canadian citizens must provide passport information for accreditation no later than July 19, 2012
Participants will be available for media interviews and photo-op following the event.
|DATE:|| Wednesday July 25, 2012 at 10:00 A.M.
(please arrive by 9:30 for security clearance)
|PLACE:|| David Florida Laboratory
3701 Carling Avenue, Ottawa
- The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of Industry and Minister responsible for the Canadian Space Agency (CSA),
- Michael Pley, Chief Executive Officer of COM DEV,
- Dr. Steve MacLean, President of the Canadian Space Agency,
- Dr John Hutchings, Principal Research Officer, National Research Council Canada and Principle Investigator for the Fine Guidance Sensor,
- Dr René Doyon, Professor, Université de Montréal, and Principal Investigator for NIRISS
- Dr. Eric P. Smith, JWST Deputy Program Director, NASA
For further information:
and to request accreditation, please contact:
Susan Smith, o: (613) 241-3512 x. 221 c: (613) 371-0624
Marie-France MacKinnon, o : (613) 241-3512 x229 c : (613) 853-3940