- Top International Equestrian teams to compete
- 2018 Canadian Team includes Ian Millar, Eric Lamaze, Lisa Carlsen, and Kara Chad
- Team United States is ready to defend its title
- Families can enjoy free activities at the BMO Fan Centre and fun activities throughout the event
CALGARY, Sept. 6, 2018 /CNW/ - The 2018 BMO Nations' Cup Competition – one of the most prestigious team show-jumping events in the world – will feature teams from nine participating nations at the Spruce Meadows Masters Tournament. The tracks for the two-round competition are designed by two-time Olympic course designer Leopoldo Palacios of Venezuela and will feature 12 jumping efforts. Competitors will be challenged over the first round course with only the top six teams coming back for round two.
Fans attending the event can enjoy free admission to the BMO Fan Centre, which features fun for the whole family, including:
- Face painters;
- Interactive games;
- Musical entertainment; and
- Autograph and photo session with all participating BMO Nations' Cup teams, including 10-time Olympian and BMO Athlete Ambassador Ian Millar, on Friday, September 7, at 1:00 p.m.
When: Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 2 p.m. MT
Where: 18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW, Calgary, Alberta T2X 4B7
Directions: Spruce Meadows is located on the southern city limits of Calgary, approximately 30-40 minutes from downtown Calgary and 45 minutes from the Calgary International Airport. Parking is free.
2018 BMO Nations' Cup Teams
- Canada – 2014 + 2006 BMO Nations' Cup Winner; 2008 Olympic Team Silver Medalist; 2015 Pan Am Games Gold Medalists, led by Captain Canada – Ian Millar
- Belgium – 2013 BMO Nations' Cup Silver Medalist
- France – 1993 and 2011 BMO Nations' Cup Winner, 2016 Olympic Team Gold Medalist
- Switzerland – 2016 BMO Nations' Cup Winner, Led by 2012 Olympic Champion and 2016 FEI World Cup Champion Steve Guerdat
- United States – Defending BMO Nations' Cup Winner, 9 BMO Nations Cup Wins, 2004 and 2008 Olympic Team Gold Medalists, 2016 Olympic Team Silver Medalist
- Brazil – 2015 BMO Nations' Cup Champion, 1996 and 2000 Olympic Team Silver Medalist
- Germany – 2016 Olympic Team Bronze Medalist, 9 BMO Nations' Cup wins
- Mexico – Coming off a Nations Cup win at the 2018 Dublin Horse Show
- Ireland – 3 BMO Nations Cup wins
The 2018 Canadian Team, led by Chef d'équipe Mark Laskin, includes Canadian Olympian Ian Millar, Eric Lamaze, Lisa Carlsen, and Kara Chad.
"As a founding sponsor of Spruce Meadows, BMO has long been a supporter of equestrian sport in Canada, and we're proud to continue our partnership with Spruce Meadows and welcome the best in show jumping to our province," said John MacAulay, Senior Vice President, Prairies & NWT, BMO Bank of Montreal. "We look forward to welcoming all participants and visitors to the Nations' Cup."
"The BMO Nations' Cup has become a premier team event in our sport over the last four decades," said Spruce Meadows President and CEO Linda Southern-Heathcott. "Our partnership with BMO Financial Group is something we truly cherish. Together we have worked to bring the very best of international show jumping to these grounds. For our 2018 season we are delighted that Team Canada will look to compete for the BMO Nations' Cup title against the very best. The roster of teams includes the reigning World, Olympic, Pan American and European Champions."
About BMO Nations' Cup
The BMO Nations' Cup is the only competition in which nations are represented by selected teams. Teams from participating countries may consist of three or four riders, and are led by a Chef d'Equipe. Each member of each team will jump one round over a course of 12 obstacles. The best three scores from each team are added together for a first round total.
The top six teams return in reverse order of standing to jump the identical course in the second round. Again, the three best scores for each team are added to the first round total to determine the ultimate winner. In the case of equality of penalties for first place, the Chef d'Equipe selects a single team member to jump off.
About BMO Financial Group
Serving customers for 200 years and counting, BMO is a highly diversified financial services provider - the 8th largest bank, by assets, in North America. With total assets of $765 billion as of July 31, 2018, and a team of diverse and highly engaged employees, BMO provides a broad range of personal and commercial banking, wealth management and investment banking products and services to more than 12 million customers and conducts business through three operating groups: Personal and Commercial Banking, BMO Wealth Management and BMO Capital Markets.
About BMO and the Equestrian Community
As one of the founding sponsors of Spruce Meadows, BMO Financial Group has a long and proud history of supporting equestrian sport in Canada. This is the 42nd year that BMO has sponsored the BMO Nations' Cup at Spruce Meadows, attracting the top international show jumping teams to compete in Canada. In addition, BMO has proudly sponsored Ian Millar, Canadian Equestrian Team member and Olympic record holder, for more than 25 years.
For a tournament schedule visit the Spruce Meadows website at www.sprucemeadows.com.
SOURCE BMO Financial Group