Lieutenant Governor to participate; Hansen to travel to Yellowknife for Northern events
WINNIPEG, Jan. 17, 2012 /CNW/ - Twenty-five years to the date of his Man In Motion World Tour entering Manitoba, Rick Hansen will return to Winnipeg and the surrounding communities to join-up with his cross-Canada Relay, which enters Manitoba on January 17, 2012. Following the Winnipeg events, Hansen will travel to Yellowknife to continue the Relay's commitment of engaging local difference makers from coast-to-coast-to-coast.
As the Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Relay makes its way across the country, the 12,000 kilometre route that retraces Rick's original Man In Motion Tour - which started on August 24, 2011 in Cape Spear, NL - is being completed over a nine month-span by 7,000 Canadians who have made a difference in the lives of others.
Rick Hansen will be joining a number of these difference makers at the following events below:
Thursday, January 19, 2012 (Non-Relay Day)
- Winnipeg Jets Game - 7:30pm (CT) [Location: MTS Centre, 300 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB]
- Rick Hansen to be recognized during the Winnipeg Jets game vs. the Buffalo Sabres
Friday, January 20, 2012 (Day #150: Relay traveling Ste. Anne to Winnipeg; Winnipeg events)
- Lieutenant Governor Youth Leadership Program participation - 2:30pm (CT) [Location: Manitoba Legislative Buildings, 450 Broadway, Winnipeg, MB]
- Rick Hansen will wheel in front of the Legislative Buildings along with Lieutenant Governor Philip S. Lee, His Honour's daughter Maggie Lee Grant and 15 other youth from the Lieutenant Governor's Youth Experience Program. The Program works with Manitoba youth to improve their school performance, participate in community events and strive to reach their full potential
- End of Day Celebration: The Forks Market Plaza - 3:30pm (CT) [Location: 1 Forks Market Road, Winnipeg, MB]
- Attending: Rick Hansen; His Worship Sam Katz, Mayor of Winnipeg; final Medal-Bearer; local band Hot Stone Road; sledge hockey demonstration
- NOTE: Rick Hansen will be available for interviews before and following the formal event
- NOTE: Pending weather the event may be moved inside
Saturday, January 21, 2012 (Day #151: Relay traveling Winnipeg to Headingley)
- Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre Visit - 9:50am (CT) [Location: Courtyard Café, 2nd Floor, Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre, 800 Sherbrooke Street, Winnipeg, MB]
- Rick Hansen to speak to patients and staff at the Rehabilitation Centre, which has received funding from the Rick Hansen Institute.
- Formal Event: 9:50am to 10:15am; Patient visits 10:30 to 11:00am
- Rick Hansen and Adam Topp, COO for the Health Science Centre, will be available for interviews
- End of Day Celebration: Headingly Community Centre - 3:30pm (CT) [Location: 5353 Portage Avenue, Headingley, MB]
- Attending: Rick Hansen, Final Medal-Bearer Glenn Reimer (a member of the Headingley Fire Department who has raised over $80,000 to benefit children with disabilities via the Headingley Fire Department Run for Wishes)
- NOTE: Rick Hansen will be available for interviews following the event
Monday, January 23, 2012 (Special events in Yellowknife, NT; Relay stands down in MB)
- School Presentation - 9:30am (MT) [Location: Weledeh Catholic School, 5023 46th Street, Yellowknife, NT]
- Rick Hansen to present his message of overcoming obstacles to students from numerous schools; Rick to then present Difference Maker Awards to local students Pippa Kennedy (for her work with Ecole St. Patrick's inclusion group) and Mikelle Wile (for her work with students from Ecole Sir John Franklin which raised $21,000 to build three classrooms in Kenya)
- Cultural Visit to Dettah (Dene Community) - 1:15pm (MT) [Location: Dettah Community Centre]
- Following a blessing and prayer by a Community Elder, Rick Hansen will present to students, families and elders.
- Community Celebration - 6:00pm (MT) [Location: Yellowknife Multiplex Arena, 41 Kam Lake Road, Yellowknife, NT]
- Attending: Rick Hansen; George Tuccaro, Commissioner of the North West Territories; Gordan Van Tighem, Mayor of Yellowknife
- Rick will then present a Difference Maker Award to David Hurley (for his work as Founding President of Habitat Humanity NWT)
The following items will be available in the Media Centre on www.RickHansenRelay.com: Relay route map, full list of communities and dates, list of Medal-Bearers, Media Highlight Sheets with Medal-Bearer stories (1 per day, uploaded at least 48 hours in advance), and high resolution images/video.
About the Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Relay:
Launched on August 24, 2011 in Cape Spear, Newfoundland and Labrador, the Rick Hansen 25th Anniversary Relay is retracing the Canadian segment of the original Man In Motion World Tour, traveling 12,000 kilometres, through 600 communities and concluding in Vancouver, British Columbia on May 22, 2012. This time, one will inspire many in motion; engaging 7,000 participants from across Canada who have made their own difference in the lives of others. Please visit www.RickHansenRelay.com.
For further information:
| Rick Hansen Foundation
John Gibson (in Winnipeg & Yellowknife)
| Rick Hansen Foundation
Lisa Clement (with Relay)
| On the Road Relay Media Relations
Toll-Free Hotline: 1-866-222-7080