15th Annual Report Highlights Top Tastes Driving the Future of Flavour
LONDON, ON, Dec. 2, 2014 /CNW/ - McCormick & Company, a global leader in flavour, today released its McCormick® Flavour Forecast™ 2015, highlighting eight enticing flavour trends on the rise. Now in its 15th year, the much-anticipated report drives flavour innovation and exploration throughout the food industry and in kitchens everywhere.
The McCormick Flavour Forecast 2015 identifies new global tastes, like Japanese 7 Spice (Shichimi Togarashi) and Middle Eastern mezze, influencing our palates. The report also showcases new ways to create more intense flavours with simple pantry items, like pairing sour with coarse salt and smoking spices and herbs.
Over the past 15 years, the Flavour Forecast has predicted trends that have changed the way people eat at restaurants and cook in their home kitchens. Even the products found on retail shelves today were impacted by trends forecasted in this industry-leading report.
"Many of our past predictions may have seemed unfamiliar at the time, but today they're favorite flavours. Take chipotle chili for instance," said Executive Corporate Chef of McCormick Canada, Michael Cloutier. "When we first identified the smoked pepper as a flavour to watch in 2003, many people couldn't pronounce it. Today, it's a household name. Sea salt, coconut water, pumpkin pie spice and cocktail-inspired flavours have seen similar success, taking over restaurant menus and grocery store shelves. The flavour trends highlighted within our 15th annual Forecast promise to do the same."
8 Flavour Trends to Watch
Identified by a global team of McCormick chefs and flavour experts, these trends offer a taste of 2015 and beyond:
- Global Blends On the Move – Japanese 7 Spice (Shichimi Togarashi) offers a new kind of spicy heat, while Shawarma Spice Blend lends warm, spiced flavour to grilled meats and more.
- Middle Eastern Mezze – These distinctive dips and spreads, packed with zesty herbs and seasonings, offer an approachable and delicious introduction to a vibrant global cuisine.
- Sour + Salt – Combining coarse salt with surprising sours like pickled ginger, sour cherry, dried mango and lemon zest results in a lively finishing flavour that lends brightness and texture to dishes.
- Smoked Spices – Smoking spices and herbs deepens their flavour and aroma, adding richness to meals and drinks.
- Umami Veggies – For a fresh way to savour the tempting "fifth taste," look no further than naturally umami-rich veggies like mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and nori.
- Liquid Revolution – Fresh purees and juices blend with bold spices and herbs to intensify sauces, pasta, dressings and more - providing a fun, delicious way to enjoy an extra serving of fruits and veggies.
- Flavour Worth the Wait – Lift the lid to discover the rich flavours from recipes around the world that meld aromatic spices and comforting ingredients into mouthwatering slow-cooked meals.
- Cookies Reimagined – Classic spiced cookie flavours take new form in decadent, imaginative desserts that redefine "milk and cookies."
Visit Flavour.ca for innovative recipes, images and more ways to explore this year's top tastes.
About Flavour Forecast
Since 2000, the annual McCormick® Flavour Forecast™ has identified top trends, insights and ingredients driving the future of flavour. Created by a global team of McCormick experts — including chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers and food technologists — the Flavour Forecast inspires culinary exploration and innovation around the world. Visit Flavour.ca to learn more.
About McCormick Canada
McCormick Canada is the largest spice, dry sauce & seasoning mixes, extract, and specialty foods operation in the country and operates under several brands including Club House, Billy Bee Honey and McCormick Gourmet. It is part of McCormick & Company Incorporated, a global leader in flavour with $4 billion in annual sales.
McCormick manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavourful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses – in more than 110 countries. Since Willoughby M. McCormick founded the company selling root beer extract in 1889, McCormick has demonstrated a strong commitment to the communities in which it operates and the planet as a whole. Innovation in flavour and a clear focus on employee engagement and product quality has allowed McCormick to grow its business globally and become the flavour leader it is today. For more information, visit www.mccormickcorporation.com, www.clubhouse.ca and www.flavour.ca.
Image with caption: "McCormick Canada Flavour Forecast™ 2015 (CNW Group/McCormick Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20141202_C8582_PHOTO_EN_8815.jpg
SOURCE: McCormick Canada
For further information: Natalie Berardi, Weber Shandwick, 416-642-7937, firstname.lastname@example.org