Annual Global Flavour Report Features Emerging Trends and Flavours
LONDON, ON, Dec. 2, 2015 /CNW/ - McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE: MKC), a global leader in flavour, has unveiled its annual McCormick® Flavour Forecast® revealing the tantalizing trends that will shape culinary exploration and innovation – in home kitchens, at restaurants and on retail shelves – across the globe for years to come.
Among the emerging trends is a spotlight on underexplored Southeast Asian fare – Malaysian and Filipino – and the evolution of our insatiable appetite for spicy. Also featured are pulses which serve as a protein-packed canvas for delicious flavours – fitting as the UN celebrates 2016 as the International Year of the Pulse.
"Since its inception in 2000, Flavour Forecast has been tracking the growing interest in heat and identifying upcoming spicy flavours including chipotle, peri-peri and harissa," said McCormick Executive Chef Kevan Vetter. "Our latest report shows the next wave of this trend is complemented by tang. Look for Southeast Asian sambal sauce powered by chilies, rice vinegar and garlic to take kitchens by storm."
Emerging Trends and Flavours
Identified by a global team of McCormick chefs, food technologists and flavour experts, these trends offer a taste of 2016 and beyond:
- Heat + Tang – Spicy finds a welcome contrast with tangy accents to elevate the eating experience.
- Peruvian chilies like rocoto, ají amarillo and ají panca paired with lime
- Sambal sauce made with chilies, rice vinegar and garlic
- Tropical Asian – The vibrant cuisine and distinctive flavours of Malaysia and the Philippines draw attention from adventurous palates seeking bold new tastes.
- Pinoy BBQ, a popular Filipino street food, is flavoured with soy sauce, lemon, garlic, sugar, pepper and banana ketchup
- Rendang Curry, a Malaysian spice paste, delivers mild heat made from chilies, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, tamarind, coriander and turmeric
- Blends with Benefits – Flavourful herbs and spices add everyday versatility to good-for-you ingredients.
- Matcha's slightly bitter notes are balanced by ginger and citrus
- Chia seed becomes zesty when paired with citrus, chili and garlic
- Turmeric blended with cocoa, cinnamon and nutmeg offers sweet possibilities
- Flaxseed enhances savoury dishes when combined with Mediterranean herbs
- Alternative "Pulse" Proteins – Packed with protein and nutrients, pulses are elevated when paired with delicious ingredients.
- Pigeon peas, called toor dal when split, are traditionally paired with cumin and coconu
- Cranberry beans, also called borlotti, are perfectly enhanced with sage and Albariño wine
- Black beluga lentils are uniquely accented with peach and mustard
- Ancestral Flavours – Modern dishes reconnect with native ingredients to celebrate food that tastes real, pure and satisfying.
- Ancient herbs like thyme, peppermint, parsley, lavender and rosemary are rediscovered
- Amaranth, an ancient grain of the Aztecs, brings a nutty, earthy flavour
- Mezcal is a smoky Mexican liquor made from the agave plant
- Culinary-Infused Sips – Three classic culinary techniques provide new tastes and inspiration in the creation of the latest libations.
- Pickling combines tart with spice for zesty results
- Roasting adds richness with a distinctive browned flavour
- Brûléed ingredients provide depth with a caramelized sugar note
"Flavour Forecast serves as a catalyst for innovation for McCormick and across the food industry," said Vetter. "Globally, this year, McCormick is launching 56 new consumer products inspired by Flavour Forecast trends, and we're working with our customers – from chain restaurants to beverage and snack producers – to help them do the same."
For mouthwatering recipes, images and more ways to explore this year's top flavours, visit www.Flavour.ca.
About Flavour Forecast
Since 2000, the annual McCormick® Flavour Forecast® has identified top trends and ingredients driving the future of flavour. Created by a global team of McCormick experts — including chefs, culinary professionals, trend trackers and food technologists — the Flavour Forecast inspires culinary exploration and innovation around the world. Visit Flavour.ca to learn more.
About McCormick Canada
McCormick Canada is the largest spice, dry sauce & seasoning mixes, extract, and specialty foods operation in the country and operates under several brands including Club House, Billy Bee Honey and McCormick Gourmet. It is part of McCormick & Company Incorporated, a global leader in flavour with $4.2 billion in annual sales.
McCormick manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavourful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses – in more than 110 countries. Since Willoughby M. McCormick founded the company selling root beer extract in 1889, McCormick has demonstrated a strong commitment to the communities in which it operates and the planet as a whole. Innovation in flavour and a clear focus on employee engagement and product quality has allowed McCormick to grow its business globally and become the flavour leader it is today. For more information, visit McCormick.ca and Flavour.ca.
SOURCE McCormick Canada
For further information: Rebecca Webster, [email protected], 416-642-7975