Martha Durdin Reappointed Chair of the Ontario Arts Council
Feb 21, 2012, 08:00 ET
TORONTO, Feb. 21, 2012 /CNW/ - The Ontario Arts Council (OAC) today announced the reappointment of Martha Durdin as Chair of the Ontario Arts Council. The Standing Committee of Government Agencies confirmed the appointment until February 9, 2015.
About Martha Durdin:
- Martha Durdin was named to the Board of Directors of the OAC in 2004, appointed Chair in 2006 and first reappointed in 2009.
- During her tenure, OAC's funding has increased by an additional $20 million, bringing the Government of Ontario's total investment in the Ontario Arts Council to over $60 million per year.
- Ms. Durdin has also played a key role in the delivery of funding initiatives such as the Government of Ontario's three-year Arts Investment Fund launched in 2010.
- Her work in the arts community includes past board positions with Opera Atelier and Factory Theatre.
- She is currently a director of Business and the Arts in Canada, the Ontario Cultural Attractions Fund, the Runnymede Health Centre and The Writers' Trust of Canada.
- Ms. Durdin has more than 25 years of experience in the fields of marketing and communications, having served as VP of Media Profile, a Toronto-based agency, VP Corporate Affairs with BMO Financial Group, and Head of Marketing and Communications with BMO Capital Markets. Her government experience includes Policy Advisor and Coordinator of the Canadian delegation to the United Nations End of Women's Decade Conference in Nairobi, Kenya, and Media Relations Officer and Director of Advance in the Prime Minister's Office. She is currently a Principal with Navigator Ltd.
"We are delighted with this news," said Peter Caldwell, new Director & CEO of the Ontario Arts Council. "In her time as Chair, Martha's steady guidance and insight have helped OAC grow and contribute to a thriving arts sector in Ontario. Her reappointment demonstrates the Government of Ontario's trust in Martha's leadership and in the OAC."
About the Ontario Arts Council:
- The Ontario Arts Council (OAC) is the province of Ontario's primary funding body for professional arts activity. Since 1963, the OAC has played a vital role in promoting and assisting the development of the arts and artists for the enjoyment and benefit of Ontarians.
- In 2010-2011, the OAC funded 1,720 individual artists and 1,057 organizations in 223 communities across Ontario for a total of $52.3 million.
Ce document existe également en français
For further information:
Director of Communications, OAC
416-969-7403 / 1-800-387-0058, ext. 7403
Share this article