TORONTO, July 10, 2014 /CNW/ - Maple Leaf Foods today released its Sustainability Report highlighting the Company's sustainability pillars, achievements and priorities with a particular focus on 2013 and the first half of 2014.
"The past 18 months have marked tremendous transition and opportunity for Maple Leaf," said Lynda Kuhn, Senior Vice President, Sustainability and Public Affairs, Maple Leaf Foods. "We divested a number of non-core businesses to accelerate our growth as dedicated consumer packaged meats company. Our increased focus on sustainability, including accelerating our progress in environmental sustainability, community outreach and animal wellness, will be fundamental to our culture and growth."
The report can be viewed by visiting: www.mapleleafsustainability.ca.
Highlights of Maple Leaf's sustainability performance highlights include:
- Maple Leaf has invested over $1 billion to establish a highly efficient, sustainable manufacturing and distribution network in Canada that secures our competitiveness on a North American scale.
- Maple Leaf was the first national pork company in Canada to commit to transitioning to open housing for sows. In 2013, the Company converted 1,250 sows and two barns to open housing. Two barns with 3,000 sow spaces each will be converted in 2014.
- Maple Leaf invested more than $1.5 million in community initiatives in 2013. Read more at www.mapleleafcommunities.ca
- In 2014, Maple Leaf is committing the focus and resources to pursue the implementation of a robust Environmental Sustainability strategy, with clear, measurable near-term and long-term targets.
- Supporting our commitment to be a global food safety leader, over 11,500 employees completed food safety training or programs in 2013.
- Maple Leaf was the first branded national company in Canada to introduce Raised Without Antibiotics products across a prepared meats portfolio, in addition to our popular Raised Without Antibiotics Maple Leaf Prime poultry.
- Maple Leaf was recognized as one of Canada's 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
Read a summary of Maple Leaf's performance highlights.
Maple Leaf Foods is Canada's leading consumer packaged meats company, headquartered in Toronto, Ontario. We make high-quality, great tasting, nutritious and innovative food products under leading brands including Maple Leaf®, Maple Leaf Prime®, Maple Leaf Natural Selections®, Schneiders®, Schneiders Country Naturals® and Mina™. Our Company employs approximately 11,500 people in its operations across Canada and exports to more than 20 global markets including the U.S. and Asia.
SOURCE: Maple Leaf Foods Inc.
For further information:
Nick Boland, Vice President, Investor Relations
David Bauer, Director, Public Affairs