SAINTE-ANNE-DES-PLAINES, QC, May 8, 2020 /CNW/ - On May 6, 2 020, a lockdown was put in place at Archambault Institution's medium-security unit as a precautionary measure after two employees tested positive for COVID-19.
The two employees are in isolation at home and are following direction from local public health officials. We are currently working on contact tracing using Public Health tools in order to test anyone, as needed, and to be able to quickly detect additional cases, if any. To date, these are the first two cases of COVID-19 related to this institution.
We are working closely with local public health officials, while following strict protocols to avoid further spread in the institution.
In addition to a number of measures implemented across the country in all of our institutions, Archambault Institution has notified all individuals who may have come in contact with those who tested positive and immediately cleaned the institution, including thoroughly disinfecting all high-touch surfaces.
The health and safety of our employees, offenders and the public is our top priority. We continue to take preventive measures, and assess and test any offenders, as required. CSC remains in close contact with its public health partners and continues to plan, monitor and engage with authorities during this time.
- Archambault Institution is a multi-level federal institution in Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines, Quebec The two employees who tested positive for COVID-19 work in the medium-security unit.
- Measures have been put in place in all CSC institutions across Canada to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Among those measures, CSC suspended visits to inmates, all temporary absences (unless medically necessary) work releases for offenders, and all inter-regional and international transfers of inmates.
- CSC has enhanced cleaning protocols that are in line with infection prevention and control measures and Public Health Agency of Canada advice. Immediate action is taken when there are suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19, including thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting common areas and high-contact surfaces.
- Inmates who are symptomatic or have tested positive for COVID-19 are medically-isolated to prevent spread to others. Employees self-isolate at home and follow public health guidance. They cannot return to work until cleared to do so.
- CSC COVID-19 Preparations
- Inmate COVID-19 testing in CSC institutions
- Government of Canada COVID-19 Information
SOURCE Correctional Services Canada - Quebec
For further information: Media relations, Quebec region, [email protected]