Small business aiming to win the ATB BoostR "Build Her Business" contest to fund Canada's first private (After-Hours) Cast Clinic & Limb Preservation Centre in Edmonton.
EDMONTON, Feb. 12, 2019 /CNW/ - Meet Kathleen Cesarin. Wife, mother, nurse, and founder of what will become Alberta's FIRST private After Hours Cast Clinic & Limb Preservation Centre. "In my 10 years of specialized nursing in Emergency, Orthopedics and Wound Care, I was constantly frustrated and saddened watching non-urgent patients sit for hours in an ER because they had nowhere else to go. I've also been personally inspired by many patients and my diabetic family members who have experienced the devastation of an amputation and tragically, even death. My passion is to be part of the solution!"
Here are some scary, but important facts for you to consider:
- It's estimated that over half of ER visits are by patients who are trying to access services after business hours, unaware of where else to go or sent there by their doctor as no other option exists.
- In 2014, 391 lower-limb amputations were performed in Alberta on patients with a diabetic foot ulcer, costing our health care system millions.
- It's estimated that up to 85% of amputations are PREVENTABLE and that 50% or more of those who have an amputation will die within 5 years.
This is UNACCEPTABLE. These wounds are notoriously hard to heal and cost millions of health care dollars to our province annually. It MUST stop.
Over 3 years ago we identified gaps in our health care system including the opportunity to meet the following health care needs in Edmonton and area.
• To redirect chronic wound patients from out-patient orthopedic clinics and provide specialized services to address the advanced wound care needs of diabetic or chronic foot/leg ulcers.
• To redirect non-urgent/non-surgical orthopedic patients from ER departments improving patient experience and reducing ER wait times.
• To make advanced treatments and medical devices accessible at an affordable cost to improve their healing outcomes.
• To create additional clinical placements for specialized nursing students as well as employment for same.
The public will now have a highly accessible, specialized clinic to treat non-emergent orthopedic and wound care patients in a timely way, eliminating hundreds of ER visits, saving hundreds of thousands of health care dollars annually and freeing up ER beds for patients who urgently need it.
We aim to open our Cast Clinic & Limb Preservation Centre in a convenient, central area in the Spring of 2019. And, since day one of business they committed to designating 10% of yearly profits to support worthy local charities. So, by helping them you are helping your favorite charities too!
How are they going to realize this vision?
With community support of their ATB BoostR campaign they can meet this grave need for Edmonton and area residents. To pledge your support and ensure their success, please visit https://atbboostr.ca/?c=accelerated-cast-clinic-and-limb-preservation-centre&id=1101 before Feb 28/19.
SOURCE Accelerated Cast Clinic & Limb Preservation Centre Ltd.
For further information: please call Kathleen at (780) 907-2072 or email her at email@example.com