Retailer continues commitment to local producers with 50 per cent of shelf space
allocated to Ontario VQA wines and local craft brewers
BRAMPTON, ON, Oct. 28, 2016 /CNW/ - Loblaw Companies Limited is expanding convenience and choice for Ontario customers with the introduction of wine and beer on shelf in 20 locations, all the while continuing its commitment to equal representation for Ontario producers.
The select Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore, Zehrs, Your Independent Grocer, Fortinos and No Frills locations listed below are added to the original 19 stores licensed to sell beer and cider, increasing access for Loblaw customers in markets across the province.
"Ontarians come to our stores looking for outstanding flavours and meal inspiration," said Grant Froese, Chief Operation Officer, Loblaw Companies Limited. "With more than 600 varieties of wine, beer and cider on our shelves, we are uniquely positioned to help them put a great meal on their table. Customers in 39 communities will have increased convenience. We applaud the government for making this possible, and we pledge our continued enthusiastic partnership as beer and wine become available in more grocery stores."
While most locations have launched with a tailored selection, over the coming months the stores will stock more than 400 varieties of wine, 200 beer and 25 cider options, including local and regional favourites and must-try international products. Seven locations launch today with the full assortment, and will have a wine expert in the store during peak business hours to support customers looking for recommendations and food pairing ideas.
"When we rolled out beer in 2015, we committed to equal shelf space for domestic craft and multinational brands – to the benefit of our customers and small Ontario brewers," said Greg Ramier, head of liquor sales at Loblaw Companies Limited. "We look forward to giving customers access to great Ontario wines, and giving great Ontario wines access to new customers."
"We applaud Loblaw's commitment to Ontario VQA wineries and its proactive efforts to provide our sector with new retail opportunities," said Richard Linley, President, Wine Council of Ontario. "We look forward to working with Loblaw to continue to drive interest in VQA wines across the province."
The following stores will now stock wine and beer on shelf (the first seven will have the full assortment today):
- Ottawa: Loblaws College Square Market, 1980 Baseline Rd.
- Toronto: Loblaws, 2877 Bayview Village
- Toronto: Loblaws, 11 Redway Rd. (Millwood & Laird)
- Kanata: Loblaws, 200 Earl Grey Dr.
- Caledonia: Zehrs, 322 Argyle St. S
- Brampton: Fortinos, 35 Worthington Ave.
- Leamington: Real Canadian Superstore, 201 Talbot St. E
- Listowel: Zehrs, 600 Mitchell Rd, Hwy 23 S.
- Port Elgin: Rowland's Your Independent Grocer, 1244 Goderich St.
- Chelmsford: Chartrand's Your Independent Grocery, 4764-17 Regional Road 15
- Toronto: Loblaws Empress Market, 5095 Yonge St
- Toronto: Real Canadian Superstore, 2549 Weston Rd.
- Port Credit: Loblaws, 250 Lakeshore Rd. W.
- Kingsville: Zehrs, 300 Main St. E.
- Hearst: Rocheleau Your Independent Grocer, 1521 Highway 11 W.
- *Renfrew: Sterling's No Frills, 680 O'Brien Rd.
- *Kemptville: Jonsson's Your Independent Grocer, Kemptville Mall Hwy. 43 W.
The below locations will stock wine and beer by the end of 2016:
- Vaughan: Fortinos, 2911 Major Mackenzie Dr.
- Vaughan: Fortinos, 3940 Highway 7 R.R #2 (Hwy 7 and Ansley)
- Stoney Creek: Fortinos, 21 Upper Centennial Pkwy S.
In addition, the following two stores will now sell beer and cider:
- Bowmanville: Loblaws Bowmanville Market, 2375 Highway #2
- Wasaga Beach: Real Canadian Superstore, 25-45th Street South
*Restricted VQA only licenses
About Loblaw Companies Limited
Loblaw Companies Limited is Canada's food and pharmacy leader, the nation's largest retailer, and the majority unit holder of Choice Properties Real Estate Investment Trust. Loblaw provides Canadians with grocery, pharmacy, health and beauty, apparel, general merchandise, banking, and wireless mobile products and services. With more than 2,300 corporate, franchised and Associate-owned locations, Loblaw, its franchisees, and Associate-owners employ approximately 192,000 full and part-time employees, making it one of Canada's largest private sector employers.
Loblaw's purpose – Live Life Well – puts first the needs and well-being of Canadians who make one billion transactions annually in the companies' stores. Loblaw is positioned to meet and exceed those needs in many ways: convenient locations; more than 1,050 grocery stores that span the value spectrum from discount to specialty; full-service pharmacies at more than 1,250 Shoppers Drug Mart® and Pharmaprix® locations and more than 500 Loblaw locations; PC Financial® no-fee banking; affordable Joe Fresh® fashion and family apparel; and three of Canada's top consumer brands in Life Brand®, no name® and President's Choice®. Through the PC Plus® and Shoppers Optimum® loyalty programs, more than one in every three Canadians are rewarded for shopping with the companies.
SOURCE Loblaw Companies Limited
Image with caption: "Loblaw uncorks convenience with Ontario VQA and international wine varieties on shelf at 20 grocery locations (CNW Group/Loblaw Companies Limited)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20161028_C5048_PHOTO_EN_806550.jpg
For further information: [email protected]