TORONTO, Jan. 22, 2013 /CNW/ - Local 183 of the Labourers International Union of North America (LIUNA) announced today that they have entered into a Unity Coalition for the 2013 and 2016 raiding periods.
The Unity Coalition includes the following construction unions:
- Labourers International Union of North America (LIUNA) Local 183
- Sheet Metal Workers, Local 51
- Sheet Metal Workers, Local 285
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 353
- United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry of Canada and the United States (UA), Local 46
- UA, Local 853
- Teamsters Local 230
- Canadian Construction Workers Union
- Brick and Allied Craft Union, Local 2
- LIUNA, OPDC
- International Union of Operating Engineers Local 793
- Bricklayers, Masons Independent Union of Canada Local 1
- Brick and Allied Craft Union of Canada
- Marble Tile and Terrazzo Local 31
- LIUNA Local 506
The unions have agreed to a peace and solidarity pact where no member will raid the other and all will support any member defending a raiding union. "I am proud of the new level of cooperation between our unions. We all agree it makes more sense to organize than attack each other. Make no mistake though, we are all unified and mobilized. A fight against one will mean a war with us all." said Local 183 Business Manager Jack Oliveira.
In Ontario, construction unions are required by legislation to enter into three-year collective agreements, at the end of which rival unions can try to raid each other during a three-month window.
The parties to the Coalition have also agreed to a speedy jurisdictional dispute process within their group should there be a need for quick resolution to work site disputes over who is to perform work on coalition job sites. The coalition is governed by consensus and has put together a fund for the 2013 raiding period. The agreement renews every four years.
Oliveira added, "Many said this agreement would never come together. Once again we have proven our detractors wrong. Local 183 remains committed to doing all that is necessary to protect the interests of our members and their families."
LIUNA Local 183 is North America's largest construction union, representing over 32,000 members primarily in the Greater Toronto Area, with additional offices in Barrie and Cobourg. Members work in the construction industry including sewer and water main, residential, industrial, road construction, bridge building, pipeline, utilities and railroads.
SOURCE: Universal Workers Union, Local 183
For further information:
General Counsel, LIUNA Local 183
(416) 241-1183 x6558