Network In Canada Grows With Institutional Investors Seeking Global Liquidity
TORONTO, Jan. 31, 2012 /CNW/ - Liquidnet Canada, the global institutional trading network, today announced record growth and performance highlights for 2011. The record trading in Canadian equities was also driven by the addition of new asset management firms in Canada seeking global liquidity and results.
"Despite the economic challenges and high volatility in the global markets last year, our record performance confirms that institutional investors see Liquidnet as the preferred network to execute large trades and get the best returns for their clients," said Robert Young, CEO of Liquidnet Canada. "We bring new sources of actionable liquidity directly to them in a safe and trusted environment which is ever so important given today's economic uncertainty."
Year over Year trading highlights included:
- Liquidnet Canada volume soared 60 per cent in year over year volume
- Canadian-based asset managers trading through the Liquidnet network increased 45% from 2010 to 29 firms.
- Average execution size was 150 times more than the TSX and 190 times larger on average than other off-exchange trading venues in Canada
- Average daily liquidity increased over 49% to 404mm shares per day/year-over-year
- Liquidnet continues to lead the industry with an overall average execution size of 48,422 shares in the US, a 3% increase from 2010.
- 62% of the time when Liquidnet traded a stock in 2011 it was either the 1st or 2nd largest print of the day in that stock. For small cap stocks this percentage rose to over 80%.
- On average in 2011, when Liquidnet traded a stock, it represented 39% of the day's market block volume in that stock. For small cap stocks that percentage rose to 57%.
- In 2011, Liquidnet also saw a 31% year-over-year increase in volume executed through our trading desk.
- Asia-Pacific has connected 200 of the leading asset management firms in the region to Liquidnet's network.
- The average execution size in 2011 was US$1.2 million, up approximately 11% from 2010. That is over 116 times the average execution size on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange over the same period.
- Average daily liquidity increased over 19% year-over-year to more than US$8.4 billion
- Continued to maintain block dominance in 2011 with an average execution size of $879,845 - the largest of any other trading venue in the region.
- In an ongoing effort to bring additional liquidity to institutional investors, Liquidnet and the SIX Swiss Exchange launched the ground breaking trading platform for non-displayed equity block trading. The unique platform allows SIX Swiss Exchange members and buy side market participants to execute large block trades efficiently in Swiss and global equities through Liquidnet's exclusive global liquidity
Liquidnet is the global institutional trading network that connects equity investors with the liquidity they need- in size, at any time, from anywhere. We go beyond what the retail market can provide by defending and securing the integrity and the anonymity of the block trade. We do this while continuously looking for ways to bring in new sources of safe, actionable liquidity from asset management firms, exchanges, brokers and corporations. Since we launched in 2001, our ability to anticipate and meet institutional demand has allowed us to extend trading to 39 equity markets across five continents for asset management firms who collectively manage US$12.4 trillion. For more information on the Liquidnet community, its liquidity, block executions, and additional investment capabilities, visit www.liquidnet.com
© 2012 Liquidnet Canada Inc. Member of IIROC and a member of Canadian Investor Protection Fund.
For further information: