CALGARY, Oct. 26, 2015 /CNW/ - Money Mentors is once again leading the campaign to bring financial literacy to the doorsteps of Albertans during the month of November. In November 2011, the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) launched Financial Literacy Month (FLM). The goal of the campaign was to dedicate November every year as a month for Canadians to talk and learn more about personal finance. Since commencement of the Financial Literacy Month campaign, Money Mentors has been spearheading financial literacy initiatives throughout Alberta every November.
Financial Literacy means the possession of knowledge and understanding of one's personal financial matters. It also encompasses having a sound comprehension and confidence to make decisions relating to personal finance in areas such as saving, debt, investing, insurance and retirement planning. Having a financial literacy foundation also extends to being informed on topics such as compound interest, the mechanics of a credit card, consumer rights and many other important financial subjects.
The topic for this year's financial literacy campaign is Talk About Money – It Just Makes Cent$. This initiative is part of a bigger campaign to raise awareness about the much needed discussion surrounding financial literacy. Canada's total consumer debt level is over $1.82 trillion and the number keeps rising every quarter, according to Equifax Canada. It is imperative to promote and engage in discussions centred on financial literacy with a goal of outlining and communicating effective frugal ways Albertans can adopt into their financial lifestyle.
What Money Mentors is doing to promote financial literacy in Alberta during the Month of November:
1. November 1 – Launch of http://finlitab.ca/- Finlitab.ca is Money Mentors school program website. Money Mentors currently provide presentations on "Budgeting and the Wise Use of Credit" to high school students in Alberta as part of the Career and Learning Management (CALM) class. Money Mentors believes that such financial education will help in enabling them to become fiscally responsible adults.
2. November 1 – Launch of Money Tip$ APP – The Money Tip$ app is to provide financial information and motivate users to adopt better financial habits such as saving, budgeting, and using credit wisely. This app provides daily reminders and encourages users to live within their means, be financially disciplined, and start taking proactive measures to improve their personal finances.
4. November 18 - Free "Credit Rating IQ" Financial Fitness Class across 6 cities (Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and Edmonton). Register for this Free Financial Literacy Class.
5. Family Money 101 Contest – Win $500.00 for your family. Family money contest is designed to get Albertans to start talking about money with the entire family. Create a video and enter to win the Family 101 Money Contest.
6. Learn more about all of Money Mentors' community events on financial literacy throughout the month of November in Alberta.
Money Mentors is the only Alberta-based, not-for-profit credit counselling agency. Through a number of services, we help families and individuals recover from financial crisis and move forward. From credit counselling and money coaching to retirement planning and community financial literacy, we are contributing to a healthier financial future for the entire province.
SOURCE Money Mentors
Image with caption: "Financial Literacy Month 2015 Logo (CNW Group/Money Mentors)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20151026_C5105_PHOTO_EN_528229.jpg
Image with caption: "Financial Literacy Month Topic for 2015 Logo (CNW Group/Money Mentors)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20151026_C5105_PHOTO_EN_528326.jpg
For further information: For more information or interviews, contact: William Akoto, MoneyMentors.ca, Toll-free: 1-888-294-0076, [email protected], Facebook.com/MoneyMentors, Twitter.com/MoneyMentors