Fireworks can cause serious injuries and property loss
TORONTO, June 27, 2012 /CNW/ -
To minimize the risk of injuries and property loss associated with fireworks this Canada Day weekend, the Ontario Fire Marshal is urging Ontarians to make fire safety a part of their weekend plans.
"We want everyone to enjoy the first long weekend of summer. To stay safe, Ontarians should leave fireworks to the professionals, and plan to attend public fireworks displays hosted by their municipality or another responsible organization for Canada Day. Fireworks are dangerous and can cause serious injuries and property loss. For these reasons, the fire service does not recommend family fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays."
- Tadeusz (Ted) Wieclawek, Ontario Fire Marshal
If you still choose to have family fireworks or an informal neighbourhood display:
- Check with your local fire department about regulations regarding fireworks.
- Appoint a responsible adult to be in charge of discharging fireworks.
- Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
- Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
- Keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn at a very high temperature and can easily cause burns.
To get more information about fireworks safety, visit www.ofm.gov.on.ca and download the Fireworks Safety Tips fact sheet.
Disponible en français
For further information:
Carol Gravelle, Office of the Fire Marshal, 416-325-3138