QUEBEC CITY, Aug. 17, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - KWE! Meet with Indigenous Peoples is a free event that will take place on September 1 to 3 at the Place de l'Assemblée-Nationale in Quebec City (next to the fontaine de Tourny). This outreach event will showcase the 11 Indigenous nations in Quebec through cultural and musical performances, culinary experiences, demonstrations of traditional knowledge and a tourist hub that will immerse you in the tourism potential of the nations.
Event Web site
Event Facebook page
The program includes a lot of activities throughout the weekend, including:
- Traditional and musical performances by contemporary Indigenous artists in reggae, folk, pop and electronic genres: Elisapie, KXO, Matiu, Shauit, David Hart, Melissa Girvan, Barbara Diabo and the Sandokwa danse troupe.
- A show featuring Loco Locass with Shauit and Natasha Kanapé Fontaine.
- Storytelling and legends, short films screened by the Wapikoni mobile, workshops on the Wendat language and medicinal herbs, and creative activities for youngsters.
- A tourist hub showcasing the tourism opportunities offered by the 11 Indigenous nations in Quebec.
- "Indigenous Peoples: Fact and Fiction", where you can learn more about issues affecting Indigenous communities and talk to representatives of various nations.
- Creation of a collective artwork by Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth, under the guidance of artists Sarah Cleary and Guitté Hartog.
- An Indigenous craft shop and book store featuring works of Indigenous literature (Librairie Hannenorak).
- Indigenous culinary specialties with food trucks from Sagamité and the Abenaki of Wôlinak.
"KWE! Meet with Indigenous Peoples is a big gathering of Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples that provides a window onto the lives of First Nations members and Inuit. It is a one-of-a-kind experience! It is a chance to open ourselves to others, discover the Indigenous cultures that surround us and immerse ourselves. I am proud to be spokesman for this unifying event."
Stanley Vollant, Innu surgeon and founder of Puamun Meshkenu.
KWE! Meet with Indigenous Peoples is produced by the Assembly of First Nations of Quebec and Labrador, the Council of the Huron-Wendat Nation (the event's host nation) and Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada.
Several other partners have helped make this event possible, such as Quebec Aboriginal Tourism, the Wapikoni mobile, the Cercle Kisis, the Cree Women of Eeyou Istchee Association, the Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse, the Commission de la capitale nationale du Québec, the Government of Quebec and the City of Quebec.
SOURCE Conseil de la Nation huronne-wendat
For further information: Or to request an interview: Mélanie Vincent, firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell: 418-580-4442