TORONTO, April 11, 2019 /CNW/ - Members of the media are invited to attend a special event to kick-off celebrations for the 20th anniversary of the Humber River's Canadian Heritage River System designation. Her Honour, the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, Jennifer Innis, Chair of Toronto and Region Conservation Authority's (TRCA) Board of Directors and others will be in attendance to speak at the event.
Where: McMichael Canadian Art Collection, 10365 Islington Ave, Kleinburg, Ontario
When: Friday, April 12, 2019 at 10:30 a.m. Media check-in at 10 a.m.
- John MacKenzie, Chief Executive Officer, TRCA (Master of ceremonies)
- Jennifer Innis, Chair of TRCA's Board of Directors
- Elder Garry Sault, Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation
- Her Honour, the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
- Sarah Milroy, Acting Executive Director, McMichael Canadian Art Collection
- Nagina Shahsamand, Office of MP Deb Schulte for King – Vaughan
- MPP Stephen Lecce for King – Vaughan
- Regional Councillor Linda Jackson, City of Vaughan
- Mary Louise Ashbourne, Humber Heritage Committee Member
About the Canadian Heritage River System designation: In 1999, the Humber River was officially designated under the Canadian Heritage Rivers System for its significant cultural heritage and recreational values, thanks to the collaborative efforts of TRCA, its partner the Humber Heritage Committee and dedicated community members. The river has a rich human history as a home for Indigenous peoples along its banks, an ancient transportation route known as the Carrying Place Trail and a site for many of Toronto's post-European settlement homes and industries. The Humber River is the only Canadian Heritage River in the Greater Toronto Area, and one of 39 designated rivers across Canada.
SOURCE Toronto and Region Conservation Authority
For further information: Media Contact: Jess Harris, Media Relations Specialist, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority, Cell: (416) 274-2036, email@example.com