TORONTO, May 16, 2012 /CNW/ - Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) mascots Carlton the Bear and The Raptor along with 20 elementary students celebrated the launch of MLSE and Just Energy's Spring School Greening Campaign. The event featured a ceremonial garden planting at Saint Paschal Baylon Separate School on Wednesday May 16th, 2012.
- Along with representatives from MLSE, Just Energy and Earth Rangers, students from Saint Paschal Baylon Separate School were elated to receive a surprise visit from MLSE mascots Carlton the Bear and The Raptor.
- MLSE and Just Energy's Spring School Greening Campaign will plant gardens in select schools across Toronto throughout May and June.
- Just Energy is the official carbon offset provider of the Air Canada Centre and is working with the Leafs and Raptors to help make their home arena carbon neutral.
- The partnership and the move towards carbon neutrality is part of MLSE's ongoing commitment to the environment and sustainability.
- Air Canada Centre is in the fourth year of a five-year plan where Canada's premier sports and entertainment venue will invest $5 million to reduce its overall carbon footprint. The venue has met its goal of reducing its carbon footprint by 30 percent two years early, with the initial goal being a 30 percent reduction by 2013.
"The enthusiasm and commitment to help protect the environment shown by Saint Paschal's eco-club students is truly inspiring and we are grateful to be a part of their efforts to make our city a little greener," said Bryan Leslie, Director of Building Operations and Team Up green, Air Canada Centre (ACC). "At MLSE, we are committed to reducing our own environmental impact. In partnership with Just Energy, we are closing the gap towards carbon neutrality at the ACC."
"It is wonderful to see the enthusiasm and commitment of these students as they take action for the environment" said Ken Hartwick, President and CEO of Just Energy. "As our future leaders, we are privileged to support our youngest, most impressionable and most impressive advocates in their work to promote the health and well-being of our environment."
"Earth Rangers is dedicated to inspiring, educating and engaging children to take action to protect biodiversity. Earth Rangers' and our members are proud to help celebrate this important partnership between Just Energy and Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment" says Mark Northwood, President and co-CEO of Earth Rangers.
About MLSE Team Up Green
MLSE Team Up Green is Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment's initiative to reduce its carbon footprint. Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment is committed to investing more than $5 million over a five year period for greening initiatives and programs for Air Canada Centre.
About Just Energy
With a vision to revolutionize how our customers use energy, Just Energy is a leading North American natural gas and electricity retailer, and a market leader in green energy programs and home comfort services. With regional offices across Canada and the U.S., Just Energy serves 1.8 million residential and commercial customers through a wide range of energy programs. The company's simple and effective green energy options provide consumers with greater choice and control to help them reduce the environmental impact of their everyday energy use. Established in 1997, Just Energy is a publicly traded corporation (TSX: JE) and parent to affiliate companies: Amigo Energy, Commerce Energy, Hudson Energy, Hudson Energy Solar, National Home Services, Momentis, Tara Energy and Terra Grain Fuels.
About Earth Rangers
Earth Rangers is an award-winning charitable organization dedicated to educating children about biodiversity loss and empowering them to Bring Back the Wild. Building on children's natural connection to wildlife, Earth Rangers' focus is to communicate to children a positive science - based message on the importance of protecting biodiversity and adopting more sustainable behaviors. Through programs including a children's website - www.earthrangers.com, a permanent studio at the Royal Ontario Museum and an Education Outreach Program featuring live Animal Ambassadors, Earth Rangers is able to reach, inspire and enable millions of children each year to take action to help ensure the lasting survival of species in Canada.
Image with caption: "Bryan Leslie from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) and Carolyn Mendlowitz from Just Energy roll up their sleeves to help students and teachers from Saint Paschal Baylon Separate School plant a garden at their school. The ceremonial garden planting is part of MSLE and Just Energy's Spring School Greening Campaign. (CNW Group/Earth Rangers)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120516_C8308_PHOTO_EN_13809.jpg
For further information: