Exclusive Games, Popular Streaming Media Apps, and Everything Free to Try, Make OUYA Different Than Any Other Game Console in History!
LOS ANGELES, June 25, 2013 /CNW/ - One little video game console. 170+ new games and growing. 17,000 registered game developers. And gamers ready to play. OUYA is here.
OUYA, a new kind of video game console, launches today at retail locations across the U.S., Canada, and U.K., including Amazon, Best Buy, GAME, GameStop, and Target, for only $99.99. With a current library of more than 170+ free-to-try games and media apps in 1080p HD, OUYA is the most affordable, accessible, and innovative new video game console on the market today.
Whether racing in Flashout 3D, answering trivia in You Don't know Jack, exploring an otherworldly RPG in Chronoblade (an OUYA exclusive from the creator of the Grand Theft Auto franchise), testing patience and agility in The Little Crane That Could, or inviting friends over to compete in couch gaming fun with games like Towerfall or Hidden In Plain Sight, OUYA has something unique for every gamer, at every age. Plus, with streaming services such as Twitch.tv, TuneIn, and Plex loaded on, this little box will answer every digital entertainment need.
On OUYA, gamers can try out every game with no obligation to buy, and new games are uploaded constantly. Games are ranked based on the "fun factor," not revenue or number of downloads, with all games and apps digitally delivered – meaning no more discs to buy, and you own your games forever. To date, more than 17,000 game creators worldwide have registered to make an OUYA game -- from established publishers like Sega and Square Enix, to emerging studios like Double Fine Productions, Tripwire Interactive, and Kim Swift's Airtight Games, and up-and-coming indie creators like Matt Thorson and Adam Spragg – ensuring a steady stream of games spanning familiar genres to mind-blowing, out-of-this-world game experiences.
"It's incredible to think that a little under a year ago OUYA was just an idea -- we wanted to do something completely new in console gaming: build a $99 game console, with no discs to buy, open to all developers, and affordable to all gamers," said Julie Uhrman, CEO and co-founder, OUYA. "Today, OUYA is real. Console gaming has never needed something new more than it does now."
- Console: A sleek 3" x 3" cube of brushed aluminum, OUYA features an open OS with custom interface built on an NVIDIA Tegra 3 chipset that delivers fast performance, amazing graphics, and surround sound in 1080p HD.
- Controller: Designed specifically for OUYA, the controller features all the button combinations for a truly immersive game play experience, including two analog sticks, D-Pad, eight action buttons, a system button, touchpad, and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Games: With more than 170+ games already available for download on the system, OUYA's ever-growing game library covers every game experience imaginable, including Chronoblade, Beast Boxing, Final Fantasy III, Saturday Morning RPG, No Brakes Valet, and Sega's Sonic games. All games are free-to-try. No more discs, and you own your games forever.
- Apps: OUYA fans can access their favorite streaming video and music apps including content directly from Twitch.tv, Plex, XBMC, TuneIn, Crunchyroll, iHeartRadio, and many others.
- DISCOVER Store: OUYA focuses on discovering the most fun games. Games are organized by player engagement, plus an ongoing roster of guest curators share their favorite game picks.
- MAKE Channel: An evolving channel that uses OUYA's built-in software development kit to enable creators to build and test games, later allowing a direct relationship with OUYA gamers through the system.
OUYA is available now for purchase in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. through retailers Amazon (U.S., Canada, and the U.K.), Best Buy, GAME (U.K.), GameStop, and Target, and on OUYA.tv for $99.99. Additional controllers retail for $49.99.
OUYA is building a new kind of video game experience for the television. Created in 2012 by video game industry veteran Julie Uhrman, OUYA is enabling any game developer to bring their most exciting, creative, and inventive game play experiences to life – in 1080p HD – for $99, and all games are free-to-try for consumers. Uhrman and an initial team of game developers and industry advisors brought the concept to life with the help of award-winning designer Yves Behar. OUYA is available in the U.S., U.K., and Canada. Visit ouya.tv for more information.
All names and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
OUYA logos and other media assets available at this link: http://bit.ly/OUYAPRESS
For further information: