The Government of Canada invests in Canadian publisher Annick Press
TORONTO, Jan. 10, 2014 /CNW/ - Member of Parliament Mark Adler (York Centre) today announced $266,166 in funding for Canadian publisher Annick Press on behalf of Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Shelly Glover.
The Government of Canada has provided funding through the Support for Publishers stream of the Canada Book Fund to help Annick Press continue building its reputation as one of the most innovative publishers of fiction and nonfiction for children and young adults.
- Founded in 1975, Annick Press publishes a variety of books which are distributed in North America by Firefly Books and are internationally licensed.
- Through the Canada Book Fund, the Department of Canadian Heritage provides $36.7 million in funding each year to approximately 300 eligible Canadian book publishers and industry organizations.
- Publishers in Canada generate over $2 billion in revenues each year.
- There are over 300 Canadian book-publishing firms located in at least 80 cities across Canada.
"Annick Press has been continuously publishing outstanding works, and our Government is committed to helping it in its efforts to offer great books to children across the country."
- Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
"We are proudly supporting Canadian businesses that not only enrich their community's cultural life but also strengthen the economy. Thanks to this investment, young readers will continue to enjoy books from talented Canadian authors."
- Mark Adler, Member of Parliament (York Centre)
"Annick Press has been publishing Canada's stories for over 37 years. We have connected young Canadians to values that underpin our pluralistic society and encouraged them to contribute to the ideals that make us what we are. And we've taken these stories around the globe, winning multiple prizes. We could not maintain the vibrant, Canadian-owned presence that both Annick and its creators are so committed to without the support we receive through the Canada Book Fund."
- Rick Wilks, Director
SOURCE: Canadian Heritage
For further information:
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages