SUMMERSIDE, PE, Jan. 19, 2014 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada has provided funding through the Canada Arts Presentation Fund to support "Harbourfront Presents," a series of performances in dance, theatre, and music at the Harbourfront Theatre.
Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and Member of Parliament (Egmont), today announced $60,000 in funding on behalf of Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Shelly Glover. The financial support will be disbursed over two fiscal years: $30,000 in 2014-2015 and $30,000 in 2015-2016.
With this investment, the Harbourfront Theatre will present shows including classical, folk, jazz and Acadian music, children's theatre, and a performance by an Aboriginal dance ensemble. Audiences in Prince Edward Island will have the opportunity to see artists from five different provinces, as well as the United States.
- Harbourfront Theatre, which opened in 1996, is the result of more than a decade of tireless effort on the part of a group of Summerside citizens with a vision to create a state-of-the-art, multi-purpose performing arts facility in Prince County.
- The theatre is owned by Regional Cultural/Event Centre Inc., a non-profit organization managed by a board of directors, general manager, and director of operations, and supported by a dedicated core of more than 70 volunteers.
- Along with the Eptek Art and Culture Centre and the Summerside Visitor Information Centre, Harbourfront Theatre is housed in the Wyatt Centre, named after one of the facility's major contributors, Dr. Wanda Wyatt.
"Our Government is committed to supporting organizations that enrich their community's cultural life and also strengthen its economy. We are pleased to support the Harbourfront Theatre as it brings excellent artistic experiences to a region that might not otherwise have such opportunities."
- Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
"For close to 20 years, Harbourfront Theatre has made an enormous contribution to arts and culture in Prince Edward Island. I am delighted that funding from our Government will support upcoming performances at the Theatre, while also contributing to the local economy."
- Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans and Member of Parliament (Egmont)
"Our mandate is to provide a continuous live entertainment service to the Prince Edward Island community and its visitors, featuring local and touring productions, and to be the driving force in the region to encourage and nurture the development and appreciation of the performing arts. With the assistance of the Department of Canadian Heritage, our series of presentations will expose Island audiences to a variety of music, contemporary and classical dance, theatre, and storytelling, which are seldom offered elsewhere in Prince County of Prince Edward Island."
- Kieran Keller, General Manager of Harbourfront Theatre
SOURCE: Canadian Heritage
For further information:
Follow us on Twitter: @CdnHeritage
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages