VANCOUVER, May 1, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Starting on May 4, the new 672 area code will be added to the current 604, 250, 778 and 236 area codes already in use in British Columbia. The introduction of the new area code is in response to the increasing demand for phone numbers in the region, ensuring residents and businesses continue to have enough numbers to meet demand well into the future.
"The new area code will be introduced gradually across the province starting on May 4, 2019. After this date, consumers and businesses requesting a new phone number may receive one with the new area code. Numbers with the new 672 area code will only be assigned to customers once there is no longer a sufficient supply of numbers with the existing area codes – 604, 250, 778 and 236," said Edward Antecol, General Manager of the Canadian Numbering Administrator.
- Existing numbers keep the same area code.
- Local calling areas remain the same.
- All local calls will require 10 digits (area code + local number).
- Special numbers such as 211, 311, 411, 611 and 911 will still be dialed using only three digits.
- Business customers using communications systems that restrict long distance calling will need to add 672 as a local area code.
The Telecommunications Alliance
Canada's major telecommunications service providers have joined forces to develop a communications campaign informing the public about the introduction of new area codes in certain calling areas. For more information about new area codes in Canada, please visit newareacodes.ca.
SOURCE Telecommunications Alliance
For further information: Philippe Massé, [email protected], 514 430-6295