- Smart, sleek and durable smartphone made to resist life's challenges without compromising on design or functionality
- Reality Display for razor-sharp clarity and fast capture camera to go from sleep to snap in just over a second
TORONTO, Oct. 24, 2012 /CNW/ - Sony Mobile Communications today announced the Xperia™ go, the latest Android smartphone for consumers who desire premium specifications and beautiful design with extra durability and water resistance. As Sony's most durable, water-resistant smartphone, the Xperia™ go is built to handle life's unexpected moments. It has a scratch resistant mineral glass display and meets the IP67 ratings for protection against dust and water immersion2 between 15cm and 1m for up to 30 minutes. The Xperia™ go will be available in November through Fido and exclusively at Sony Stores in a limited edition yellow.
Industry research demonstrates that consumers consider durability and water resistance as important features when purchasing a smartphone. In a 2012 poll3 on Sony Mobile's Facebook community, more than a third of global participants identified durability as the most important feature when choosing a smartphone. Not only can it go from sleep to snap in just over a second, the Xperia™ go is also scratch- and water-resistant, making it an ideal phone for users who want a phone they can rely on without the worry of easily damaging it. Wet screen control lets you operate the device even when standing in the rain, lounging by the pool or on the beach.
"The Xperia™ go is the ideal smartphone for the everyday user looking for a device that can keep up with their lifestyle regardless of whether it rains or shines," said Peter Farmer, VP Marketing for Sony Mobile Communications. "This phone has the highest level of dust and water resistance in its category and we feel many consumers will appreciate its durability and uncompromised performance.1"
This powerful device conceals its rugged nature in a slim and attractive design, and, at only 9.8mm thick, users can enjoy its lightweight feel and easily transport it in a pocket or bag among keys, change and other items with reduced susceptibility to marks or scratches. The Xperia™ go's sleek and stylish design means durable no longer has to look bulky and ruggedized.
The Xperia™ go has a 3.5-inch4 display that provides a visually brilliant viewing experience with razor-sharp clarity and brightness. The 5-megapixel fast capture camera, quick launch feature, and 720p HD video recording capabilities help to catch life's unexpected moments in crystal clear quality.
Providing premium entertainment, the Xperia™ go will come preloaded with Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited apps from Sony Entertainment Network. Consumers can access Hollywood blockbusters, TV series and millions of music tracks. With so much entertainment to be enjoyed, this device comes with up to 8GB internal memory and the option to add up to 32GB external (microSD™) memory. As an added benefit, simply sign-up or access Box** from your Xperia™ go to grab 50GB of file storage from the cloud - free, for life!4
Key Features for Xperia™ go:
- 3.5" Reality display5 powered Mobile BRAVIA® Engine gives razor-sharp clarity
- 5MP fast capture camera goes from sleep to snap in just over a second
- Scratch resistant mineral glass display with wet screen control
- Highest level of dust and water resistance in a smartphone (IP67 rating)1, 2
- 1 GHz dual core processor gives consumers super-fast performance
- Launching on Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Available in black and white through Fido
- Available unlocked in a limited edition yellow exclusively at Sony Stores across Canada
About Sony Mobile Communications
Sony Mobile Communications is a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation, a leading global innovator of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for both the consumer and professional markets. Through its Xperia™ smartphone portfolio, Sony Mobile Communications delivers the best of Sony technology, premium content and services, and easy connectivity to Sony's world of networked entertainment experiences. For more information: www.sonymobile.com
*33% stated durability as the most important feature when choosing a smartphone - based on a survey of 1,477 Facebook users through the global Sony Mobile Facebook fan page as of Friday 25 May 2012
**Storage offer is provided separately by Box. Additional terms and conditions apply.
- Based on smartphones available in Canada as of October 24, 2012
- An IP (Ingress Protection) rating of 67 means the device is dust tight and is protected against the effects of immersion in water in depths of between 0 to 100 cm for up to 30 minutes. Despite your device's resistance qualities, you should avoid exposing it to environments with excessive dust or moisture. Damage to your device, (even if through ordinary use) can limit or lessen resistance to dust or moisture. You should not submerge the mobile phone in water. The water resistance of the micro USB port and the headset connector is not guaranteed in all environment or conditions. All compatible accessories including batteries, chargers, hands-free devices, micro USB cables, microSD™ cards, and so on are not dust and water resistant on their own. Warranty does not cover damage or defects caused by abuse or improper use of your device.
- Thirty-three percent (33%) or respondents stated durability as the most important feature when choosing a smartphone - based on a survey of 1,477 Facebook users through the global Sony Mobile Facebook fan page as of Friday 25 May 2012
- Screen size measured diagonally
- Storage offer is provided separately by Box. Additional terms and conditions apply.
© Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB 2012. All rights reserved. Compatible wireless service required. Features described herein and conditions. Sony, "make.believe", Bravia PlayStation and Exmor R are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation. Xperia™ is a trademark or registered trademark of Sony Mobile Communications AB. Android™ is a trademark of Google Inc. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE: Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications
For further information:
FOR MEDIA INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Michelle Lee Hoy
NATIONAL Public Relations
For product information, images and videos, please visit: www.sonymobile.com/press