OTTAWA, June 4, 2015 /CNW/ - Experts from around the globe will convene in to discuss how global governance processes will affect Canada's grasp on a free and open Internet.
Each year at the Canadian Internet Forum, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) hosts a dialogue with experts to enhance Canada's role as a leader in international Internet governance. The Canadian Internet community has an important role in preserving the Internet's free and open nature, and the CIF is the premiere event for Canadian experts to discuss and influence its development.
This year's speakers include:
- Byron Holland, President and CEO of CIRA and the chair of the Country Code Names Supporting Organization
- Milton Mueller, author of Networks and States: The global politics of Internet governance and Ruling the Root: Internet Governance and the Taming of Cyberspace
- Fiona Alexander, Associate Administrator, U.S. Department of Commerce's Office of International Affairs
- Michael Karanicolas, Senior Legal Officer, Centre for Law and Democracy
- Wolfgang Kleinwächter, Professor for International Communication Policy and Regulation, Aarhus University and ICANN board member
The event will feature a keynote presentation from John Ralston Saul.
The convergence of a changing governance landscape and conflicting international ideologies has positioned this year's Canadian Internet Forum as one of the most timely and critical in the event's history.
Canadian Internet Forum 2015: Internet Governance in Transition
8am – 4pm, June 10, 2015
Canadian Museum of Nature
240 McLeod St, Ottawa
Attendance is free, but pre-registration is required at cif.cira.ca/registration.
A live stream of the event will also be available.
CIRA manages the .CA top-level domain, Canada's online identifier, on behalf of all Canadians. A Member-driven organization, CIRA also facilitates the development of a better Internet for all Canadians, and represents the .CA registry internationally.
SOURCE Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA)
For further information: or press registration contact: Ryan Saxby Hill, Communications manager, CIRA, [email protected], 613-316-2397