This new Framework will improve the confidence and prosperity of Canadians operating businesses domestically and abroad by fostering fair, consistent and effective procedures in competition law enforcement around the world.
The Framework also enhances cooperation between members by encouraging them to communicate with each other and be transparent about the rules governing their investigation and enforcement procedures. The Framework is open to all competition authorities willing to respect its core principles, including transparency and the protection of confidential information. These principles are based on the extensive work of the ICN and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development in support of procedural fairness.
Competition authorities interested in pioneering this new model of international collaboration have until May 17 to register and become founding members of the Framework. Standard memberships will remain accessible to all competition authorities following this date.
"This Framework supports our commitment to promoting transparency and procedural fairness in Canada and abroad. International collaboration is an important tool for combating anti-competitive cross border conduct."
-Matthew Boswell, Commissioner of Competition
- At its upcoming Annual Conference, the ICN will provide an overview and report on the implementation of the Framework to its members and stakeholders.
- The ICN is a group of national and multinational competition authorities devoted to improving collaboration on competition law enforcement. The Network's goal is to improve and promote more efficient and effective competition enforcement worldwide for the benefit of consumers and businesses.
- The Bureau plays a leadership role in the ICN as its Secretariat, as a member of the Steering Group, and as co-chair of the Agency Effectiveness Working Group.
- To date, the Bureau has negotiated cooperation instruments with 14 other jurisdictions to facilitate cooperation and coordination in cross-border enforcement matters.
- Framework on Competition Agency Procedures
- International Competition Network
- International Competition Network Steering Group
- International Competition Network Agency Effectiveness Working Group
- 2019 ICN Annual Conference
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- The Competition Bureau's international cooperation instruments
The Competition Bureau, as an independent law enforcement agency, ensures that Canadian businesses and consumers prosper in a competitive and innovative marketplace.
SOURCE Competition Bureau
For further information: For media enquiries, please contact: Media Relations, Telephone: 819-994-5945, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; For general enquiries, please contact: Information Centre, Competition Bureau, Telephone: 819-997-4282, Toll free: 1-800-348-5358, TTY (hearing impaired): 1-800-694-8389