Insurance Bureau of Canada reminds British Columbia residents to protect
their belongings: Overland flooding not covered by insurance

VANCOUVER, Nov. 17 /CNW/ - With heavy rain and melting snow which could lead to flooding in the Fraser Valley, Insurance Bureau of Canada is reminding BC homeowners to protect their belongings against overland flooding.

"We have reports that the conditions are similar to those that led to floods of the Fraser Valley in 2003 and 2007. With that in mind, it's important for homeowners to make sure that floods won't put their property in danger," said Lindsay Olson, Vice-President, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, IBC.

The provincial, federal, and municipal governments have made significant investments in flood protection since 2007, but it's not known whether the improved dykes, berms and bridges will be enough to prevent widespread flooding. The Ministry of the Environment and the Provincial Emergency Program are monitoring water levels closely.

First and foremost, Olson encouraged all individuals in danger of flooding to take the proper measures to protect themselves and their loved ones. As well, she urged homeowners to take preventative action to minimize their losses and the amount of damage caused by potential floods. And she encouraged homeowners to move valuable items located in their basements to higher ground to prevent water damage during the thaw.

Preventative action is especially important because any damage caused by overland flooding or water seeping into the residence cannot be covered by home insurance.

"The purpose of insurance is to spread risk amongst many policyholders," said Olson. "But overland flooding is a risk for only a small percentage of the population - that is, those who live in a flood plain. Since most homeowners are not exposed to the risk, and should not share in the cost, providing flood insurance would be unaffordable for the homeowners who might need it."

She added: "However, some potential damage from flooding may be the result of sewer back-up. Coverage for this type of damage is available, but must be purchased as an add-on to a homeowner's policy."

Homeowners shouldn't wait until a flood is affecting their area to review their home insurance policy and contact their insurance representative to verify what coverage they have. Also, for any questions or concerns pertaining to home, car or business insurance, please contact IBC's Consumer Information Line at 1-877-772-3777 or visit

Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, car and business insurers. Its member companies represent nearly 95% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. The P&C insurance industry employs over 110,000 Canadians, pays more than $6 billion in taxes to the federal, provincial and municipal governments, and has a total premium base of $38 billion.

SOURCE Insurance Bureau of Canada

For further information: For further information: contact Pete Karageorgos at (416) 362-2031 ext. 4329

Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890