The program also announces new corporate and technology partners including IBM Canada
TORONTO, May 25, 2017 /CNW/ - Today INFINITI LAB Toronto, an Internet of Things (IoT) and smart cities accelerator program from premium car brand INFINITI, announced the nine startups that will participate in the inaugural four-week accelerator program in Toronto. The nine participating startups have raised $2.7M in funding between them, and during the program they will receive education, mentorship and access to technology from corporate and technology partners including new partners IBM Canada and TribalScale, and existing partners including Techstars, OMERS Ventures, and the City of Toronto. The month-long Toronto program kicks off on May 29, and the top startup will be fast-tracked into the three-month global program at the brand's HQ, the INFINITI LAB Hong Kong driven by Nest, which launches in August.
"Selecting the startups to participate in the inaugural INFINITI LAB Toronto program was no easy task thanks to the hotbed of talent in Canadian startups surrounding Internet of Things and smart cities," said Stephen Lester, Managing Director of INFINITI Canada. "We've selected companies that have the potential to transform the way we interact with our cities and with the objects around us, and we're excited to provide mentorship, access to technology, and expertise through the program to further accelerate their growth."
The selected startups are:
- Pitstop Predictive Maintenance
- Has gone through Techstars Mobility program in Detroit and is backed by BDC.
- Pitstop is your proactive virtual technician. With a powerful combination of a mobile app, a telematics device and artificial intelligence, Pitstop has the ability to monitor and report vehicle data.
- Has gone through 500 Startups program in Silicon Valley
- InnerSpace provides a turnkey indoor mapping and location platform to commercial real estate companies who use it to boost productivity or create new revenue by offering indoor location services to their tenants.
- Rover Parking
- A marketplace for shared parking.
- Pull Technologies
- Pull is a mobile application that allows humans to connect to the internet of things. It creates a frictionless way to connect with new business associates or friends, as well as brick and mortar retailers.
- Tap Report
- Tap Report is a digital solution for any workplace inspection including washrooms, fire equipment, preventative maintenance (PM) and more.
- Ubiqweus Inc.
- Ubiqweus Inc., is currently designing and developing an electronic IoT device called qBiq. qBiq is a social sensing and monitoring device that builds data-sharing communities around people, places, and things.
- RoadLaunch was built to make shipping easier. We delivered an IoT platform that makes transportation management fast and automated.
- NXCAR is the first connected car solution for the extended warranty industry. It transforms new and used vehicles into smart cars with new safety, security and convenience features.
- DRVEN allows drivers to upgrade their car, without upgrading their car. It also unlocks the value in the data that you and your car generate.
The month-long program features guest speakers from partners IBM Canada, TribalScale, T4G, Techstars,OMERS Ventures, TELUS Ventures, the City of Toronto, and Fleet Complete. The program will also feature IoT and smart cities experts from around North America, as well as guest speakers on topics including marketing, finance, sales, and data science. The program will culminate in Demo Day on June 28, where each startup will pitch to a panel of venture capitalists.
The announcement of the participating startups was marked with an evening celebration that featured remarks from Stephen Lester, Managing Director of INFINITI Canada, Dane Fisher, General Manager, Global Business Transformation and Brand of INFINITI Global, and Clare Barnett, Vice President, Investment Growth for the Ministry of Economic Development and Growth. The Toronto program is produced in partnership with Multiplicity, a Toronto-based non-profit that provides education and mentorship to startups.
"We've chosen startups with real potential for innovation and change in the IoT and smart cities industry," said Chris Kay, co-founder of Multiplicity. "This celebration has been a great kick-off to the program and a chance for the startups to meet the other participants and hear from the INFINITI team. We're excited to see what these talented ventures will produce with the help of our corporate partners and the guidance of the INFINITI team."
To learn more about INFINITI LAB Toronto visit: http://www.infiniti.ca/en/about/infiniti-lab.html
To learn more about INFINITI LAB Hong Kong visit: infiniti.com.hk/infiniti-lab.html
Social media links:
About INFINITI LAB
INFINITI LAB is a month-long technology accelerator program for Internet of Things (IoT) startups founded by luxury car brand INFINITI. The program was originally launched in Hong Kong in order to harness the power of innovation and entrepreneurship, and to date has produced two cohorts of startups. The Toronto-based expansion is the first international launch, and the program is open to pre-seed startups working on IoT and smart city innovation.
INFINITI Motor Company Ltd. is headquartered in Hong Kong with representations in 50 markets around the world. The INFINITI brand was launched in 1989. Its range of premium automobiles is currently built in manufacturing facilities in Japan, the United States, United Kingdom and China. INFINITI design studios are located in Atsugi-Shi near Yokohama, London, San Diego and Beijing. INFINITI is in the middle of a major product offensive. The brand has been widely acclaimed for its daring design and innovative driver-assistance technologies. From the 2016 season, INFINITI is a technical partner of the Renault Sport Formula One team, contributing its expertise in hybrid performance.
More information about INFINITI and its industry leading technologies can be found at www.INFINITI.com. You can also follow INFINITI on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and see all our latest videos on YouTube.
SOURCE Infiniti Canada
For further information: Press Contact: Jamie Gillingham, Eighty-Eight, PR Account Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-416-944-2722