CALGARY, April 6, 2017 /CNW/ - The National Energy Board (NEB) is launching a one-year pilot program to make a key safety standard, known as CSA Z662 – Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems (CSA Z662), available online to the public free of charge. Previously this information was only available to the public through a paid online subscription, the NEB's onsite library or through interlibrary loans across Canada.
CSA Z662 is incorporated by reference in the National Energy Board Onshore Pipeline Regulations (OPR) making it a regulation that applies to NEB-regulated oil and gas pipelines. It is also included in the NEB's Filing Manual and companies must follow CSA Z662 when they submit an application for a new project.
CSA Z662 is comprised of over 500 pages of prescriptive and performance-based requirements and covers the technical aspects of design, construction, operation, maintenance, deactivation, and abandonment of oil and gas industry pipeline systems. CSA Z662 is continually reviewed and updated to incorporate lessons learned, technological advancements, and best practices.
The pilot runs until March 2018 with the NEB covering the cost so Canadians can have full, digital access.
The National Energy Board is an independent federal regulator of several parts of Canada's energy industry. It regulates pipelines, energy development and trade in the public interest with safety as its primary concern. For more information on the NEB and its mandate, please visit www.neb-one.gc.ca.
- "CSA Z662 is a critical piece of the NEB's regulatory oversight. I believe it's important that Canadians have the opportunity to review the standard online."
--Peter Watson, Chairman and CEO, National Energy Board
- The CSA is a not-for-profit standards organization which develops standards in 57 areas of specialization.
- CSA Z662 is continually reviewed and updated to incorporate lessons learned, technological advancements, and best practices.
- Reviews and updates are coordinated through the work of the Z662 Technical Committee and Subcommittees, which has over 250 expert volunteer members.
- NEB technical staff participate in the development of these standards, along with technical experts from industry, other regulators and the public.
- CSA Z662 web portal
SOURCE National Energy Board
For further information: Rebecca Taylor, Communications Officer, National Energy Board, Email: [email protected], Telephone: 403-619-3021, Telephone (toll-free): 1-800-899-1265