Call for Submissions Due Nov. 30
NEW YORK, Oct. 17, 2012 /CNW/ - IMAX, with Newsweek & The Daily Beast, today announced The IMAX® Award, which recognizes up-and-coming filmmakers whose entries best capture the theme of exploration. The contest will commemorate the publication of Newsweek's Explorer Issue, on sale Jan. 6, and celebrate IMAX's 40-year legacy of creating inspiring documentary films that explore the wonders of the universe. The winning filmmaker will receive a prize valued at $25,000 to be awarded in the form of a scholarship or cash for film-production related expenses.
- Participants may visit The IMAX Award website at http://vimeo.com/groups/imaxaward to complete an online registration form.
- Entrants should upload a one- to two-minute video entry to the award site by 11:59 p.m. ET Nov. 30.
- Video entries should be shot in a documentary style and focused on the theme of exploration with the goal of transporting audiences to a place they've previously only dreamed of going.
- Submissions will be judged on how closely they align with the theme of exploration as well as:
- Film technique – the use of lighting, sound and cinematography
- Originality – using film techniques in a creative fashion to take the audience on a unique journey
- Social resonance – receiving the largest number of votes and positive comments on the Awards site
- The top 10 finalists will be selected by a panel of judges beginning at 9:00 a.m. ET on Dec. 3 and ending at 5:00 p.m. ET on Dec. 7.
- Each finalist's video entry will be posted on the Award site from 9:00 a.m. ET on Dec. 10 through 9:00 a.m. ET on Dec. 21 and will be subject to voting by site visitors, who will assist the judges in selecting the grand prize winner.
- Full IMAX Award contest rules can be found at: www.thedailybeast.com/sponsored/2012/10/imax-awards-contest-rules.html
In addition to the grand prize valued at $25,000, The IMAX Award winner will also have his or her video entry premiered at an Explorer event taking place in January 2013.
About Newsweek & The Daily Beast
The Newsweek/Daily Beast Company LLC formed in February 2011 when the revered print brand and the thriving young news site completed their merger, bringing together the warp speed 24/7 website with the depth, analysis, and investigative power of a great print magazine. The combined operation now attracts over 15.2 million unique online visitors a month and the magazine reaches 14 million readers across America, and millions more through its international editions.
The Daily Beast was founded in 2008 as the vision of Tina Brown and IAC Chairman Barry Diller. Curated to avoid information overload, the site is dedicated to breaking news and sharp commentary. After the merger, The Daily Beast became the online home of Newsweek Magazine, which has served as the world's preeminent conversation starter since its founding in 1933. Tina Brown, former editor of Vanity Fair, The New Yorker and Talk, serves as Editor-in-Chief of both publications.
About IMAX Corporation
IMAX Corporation is one of the world's leading entertainment and technology companies, specializing in the creation and delivery of premium, awe-inspiring entertainment experiences. With a growing suite of cutting-edge motion picture and sound technologies, and a globally recognized entertainment brand, IMAX is singularly situated at the convergence of the entertainment industry, innovation and the digital media world. The industry's top filmmakers and studios are utilizing IMAX theatres to connect with audiences in extraordinary ways, and as such, the IMAX network is among the most important and successful theatrical distribution platforms for major event films around the globe. The Company's new digital projection and sound systems - combined with a growing blockbuster film slate - are fueling the rapid expansion of the IMAX network in established markets such as North America, Western Europe, and Japan, as well as emerging markets such as China and Russia. IMAX deliver the world's best cinematic presentations using proprietary IMAX®, IMAX® 3D, and IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-Mastering) technologies. IMAX DMR enables virtually any motion picture to be transformed into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience®.
IMAX is headquartered in New York, Toronto and Los Angeles, with offices in London, Tokyo, Shanghai and Beijing. As of June 30, 2012, there were 663 IMAX theatres (529 commercial multiplex, 20 commercial destination and 114 institutional) in 52 countries.
IMAX®, IMAX® 3D, IMAX DMR®, Experience It In IMAX®, An IMAX 3D Experience®, The IMAX Experience® and IMAX Is Believing™ are trademarks of IMAX Corporation. More information about the Company can be found at www.imax.com. You may also connect with IMAX on Facebook (www.facebook.com/imax), Twitter (www.twitter.com/imax) and YouTube (www.youtube.com/imaxmovies).
This press release contains forward looking statements that are based on IMAX management's assumptions and existing information and involve certain risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ materially from future results expressed or implied by such forward looking statements. These risks and uncertainties are discussed in IMAX's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and most recent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.
For additional information please contact:
IMAX Corporation – New York
Sloane & Company – New York
IMAX Corporation – New York
Principal Communications Group – Los Angeles
Melissa Zuckerman/Paul Pflug
Newsweek & The Daily Beast
Director of Public Relations
SOURCE: IMAX Corporation
For further information:
PRN Photo Desk, [email protected]