IKEA's commitment to people and planet is recognized for the 11th consecutive year
BURLINGTON, ON, April 15, 2019 /CNW/ - IKEA Canada celebrates its 11th year as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for its commitment to sustainability practices. The designation from Mediacorp Canada Inc. recognizes employers who lead the nation in creating a culture of environmental awareness in their organizations and incorporate sustainable business practices across their operations.
"At IKEA, our ambition is to inspire and enable Canadians to live a better everyday life within the limits of the planet," said Michael Ward, President, IKEA Canada. "Our 6,500 co-workers are our greatest ambassadors and their commitment to both people and the planet will continue to lead the way as we work toward a more sustainable future."
IKEA's sustainability strategy People and Planet Positive outlines three main change drivers to help fulfil the IKEA vision: enabling healthy and sustainable living, becoming a circular and climate positive business, and being fair and equal.
The following are just a few of the many initiatives that make IKEA one of Canada's Greenest Employers:
- IKEA Canada launched a national Sell-Back program to support a more sustainable shopping experience and circular business model.
- By 2020, IKEA will phase out all single-use plastics from its product range and food services.
- IKEA has committed to 100 per cent zero-emission home delivery by 2025 and offers electric vehicle charging stations at all of its stores.
- Through its two wind farms in Alberta and rooftop solar installations on more than half of its stores, IKEA Canada generates renewable energy equivalent to approximately four times the energy it consumes.
- Since 2015, IKEA Canada has partnered with Breakfast Club of Canada to support childhood development in each of its local communities.
- IKEA offers a unique program called IWitness Global Citizens where co-worker ambassadors are selected to visit projects funded by the IKEA Foundation. Ambassadors have visited Malawi, Kosovo, Jordan, South Africa, and Indonesia.
- IKEA Canada recently launched more sustainable food offers including a plant-based veggie hot dog in its Bistro locations and ASC-certified salmon balls in its Restaurants.
ABOUT IKEA CANADA
IKEA Group is a leading home furnishing retailer with 357 stores in more than 29 countries worldwide, which are visited by 817 million people every year. IKEA Canada has 14 stores, an eCommerce virtual store, five Pick-up and order points and 17 Collection Points. Last year, IKEA Canada welcomed 30 million visitors to its stores and 104 million visitors to the IKEA.ca website. Founded in 1943, IKEA's business philosophy is to offer a wide range of products of good design and function at prices so low that as many people as possible will be able to afford them. For more information on IKEA Canada, please visit: www.IKEA.ca.
SOURCE IKEA Canada
For further information: Maja Boricevic, Communications Specialist, [email protected]