TORONTO, Sept. 12, 2012 /CNW/ - At the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) held in Toronto, Ontario on September 11, 2012, member firms elected/re-elected individuals to the IIROC Board of Directors.
IIROC's Board is comprised of 15 Directors, including IIROC's President and CEO, seven Independent Directors and seven Industry Directors. Two of the seven Industry Directors represent marketplaces and five of the seven represent dealer members.
Six new directors were elected to the Board. Four of the elected individuals are Independent Directors: Michael T. Boychuck, James Donegan, Edward Iacobucci and Catherine Smith. Two of the elected individuals are Industry Directors: K. Pruyn Haskins and Luc Bachand.
Eight individuals who were elected at the 2011 AGM continue to serve on the IIROC Board. These individuals are Tal Cohen and Thomas A. Kloet as Marketplace Directors. Mike Gagné, Brian Heidecker and Daniel Muzyka continue as Independent Directors. M. Marianne Harris, Robert C. Blanchard and Yves Néron continue to serve as Industry Directors representing dealer members.
At the Board meeting held on September 12, 2012, the Board elected M. Marianne Harris as its new Chair and Daniel Muzyka as Vice-Chair.
"We welcome the newly elected Directors and acknowledge the long-standing service, dedication and contributions of the outgoing Chair, Gerry Rocchi, and Directors Daniel Leclair, Grant Vingoe, Michelle Khalili and Eric Kirzner," said Susan Wolburgh Jenah, IIROC's President and Chief Executive Officer.
"We are pleased to have such high calibre individuals serve on IIROC's Board, bringing a cross section of skills, knowledge and breadth of experience. "
The current Board is as follows:
- Brian Heidecker, Corporate Director
- Catherine Smith, Corporate Director
- Daniel Muzyka, President and CEO, The Conference Board of Canada
- Edward Iacobucci, Professor, Osler Chair in Business Law and Associate Dean of Research, University of Toronto
- James Donegan, President and CEO, OMERS Capital Markets
- Michael T. Boychuck, President and CEO, BIMCOR Inc.
- Mike Gagné, Corporate Director
- K. Pruyn Haskins, Managing Director, Co-head, Global Equity Sales and Trading Scotiabank Global Banking and Markets Group
- Luc Bachand, Vice-Chairman and Head of BMO Capital Markets - Quebec
- M. Marianne Harris, Managing Director and President, Corporate and Investment Banking, Merrill Lynch Canada Inc.
- Robert C. Blanchard, President, Haywood Securities Inc.
- Tal Cohen, CEO, Chi-X Global
- Thomas A. Kloet, CEO, TMX Group Inc.
- Yves Néron, Special Advisor, Desjardins Securities
President and CEO
- Susan Wolburgh Jenah, President and CEO, IIROC
More information about IIROC's Board of Directors, its mandate and membership of its subcommittees (Corporate Governance; Finance and Audit; and Human Resources and Pension) is available on IIROC's website at http://www.iiroc.ca/about/Pages/Board-of-Directors.aspx.
IIROC is the national self-regulatory organization which oversees all investment dealers and trading activity on debt and equity marketplaces in Canada. Created in 2008 through the consolidation of the Investment Dealers Association of Canada and Market Regulation Services Inc., IIROC sets high quality regulatory and investment industry standards, protects investors and strengthens market integrity while maintaining efficient and competitive capital markets.
IIROC carries out its regulatory responsibilities through setting and enforcing rules regarding the proficiency, business and financial conduct of dealer firms and their registered employees and through setting and enforcing market integrity rules regarding trading activity on Canadian equity marketplaces.
SOURCE: Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) - General News
For further information: