TORONTO, Dec. 21, 2015 /CNW/ - With the holiday season upon us, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is providing Ontarians with some driving tips to ensure everyone gets home safely.
"Make sure you are prepared for winter roads and pay close attention to your driving during this season of parties, family and community get- togethers to ensure you and your loved ones arrive home safe and sound," said Kim Donaldson, Vice-President, Ontario, IBC.
"At IBC, we especially encourage everyone to put down their cellphones and avoid all other distractions when behind the wheel," added Donaldson. "You may be in a hurry to get to a party or visit friends and family, but it's worth your time to take a few minutes to review our Top 10 tips for a happy-and safe-holiday."
IBC's Top 10 tips for a safe holiday season on the roads are:
- Attending a holiday party? Don't drink and drive.
- Last-minute holiday shopping? Leave your bundle of presents out of sight in your car.
- Visions of sugar plums dancing in your head? Avoid distractions while driving.
- Need a long winter's nap? Be sure you're well rested before getting behind the wheel. If you're tired, pull off the road to a safe spot and have a short nap.
- Dashing to your sleigh after dinner? Take extra precautions when you drive at night.
- Stormy weather? Drive according to the road conditions and be prepared for treacherous roads by reading the tips here.
- Love a warm car? Never start and leave your car unattended while it heats up.
- Reindeer on the road? Here's what to do when you see an animal on or near the road.
- Tune up your sleigh. Make sure your vehicle is tuned up and ready for winter's worst.
- Don't just dash away, safety first! Follow the rules of the road and ensure the proper use of seatbelts and child car seats at all times.
About Insurance Bureau of Canada
Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, auto and business insurers. Its member companies make up 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. For more than 50 years, IBC has worked with governments across the country to help make affordable home, auto and business insurance available for all Canadians. IBC supports the vision of consumers and governments trusting, valuing and supporting the private P&C insurance industry. It champions key issues and helps educate consumers on how best to protect their homes, cars, businesses and properties.
P&C insurance touches the lives of nearly every Canadian and plays a critical role in keeping businesses safe and the Canadian economy strong. It employs more than 118,000 Canadians, pays $6.7 billion in taxes and has a total premium base of $48 billion.
For media releases and more information, visit IBC's Media Centre at www.ibc.ca. Follow IBC on Twitter @InsuranceBureau and @IBC_Ontario or like us on Facebook. If you have a question about home, auto or business insurance, contact IBC's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2-ASK-IBC.
If you require more information, IBC spokespeople are available to discuss the details in this media release.
SOURCE Insurance Bureau of Canada
Image with caption: "IBC Top 10: Tips for a safe holiday season on the roads (CNW Group/Insurance Bureau of Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20151221_C4186_PHOTO_EN_588054.jpg
For further information: To schedule an interview, please contact: Ariella Kimmel, Manager, Media Relations, 416-362-2031 ext. 4313 (office), 416-550-9062 (after hours), [email protected]